Pages

Monday, December 10, 2018

party talk

We seem to be in the thick of Holiday merriment now.  I don't have any decorations up whatsoever, but I see them popping up all around.

I'm not sure what I'll do for the house this year.  In previous years, I've filled our front windows with lights, which looked very pretty from the outside.  On the inside, though, it involved lots of tape on the windows.  Now we have these nice new windows, and I don't want to hang lights in them.

I might have to face my fears and get on a ladder.

Speaking of lights and festivities, my P.E.O. chapter had our holiday party on Saturday.  It was a good time, and we got the annual Von Trapp staircase photo:



While Dee, our hostess, was setting up her camera for the shoot, I leaned my head back to fake catch 40 winks on the pillow the woman behind me was holding - she'd acquired it during the gift exchange - noting how comfy it was.

"That's not a pillow", she informed.  HA!  Well, it was quite warm and comfy, nonetheless...

During the party, I had a vegetarian conversation with one of my sisters who is a longstanding vegetarian.  I think I'm going to be one now.  For a trial period at least anyways.  So far, I'm one day in.

Speaking of animals and not eating them, I thought I'd share this shot of the duck / goose pond as a follow up to the goose carnage that happened last weekend.  There are still geese a-plenty, and all the poop that goes with them.  Hopefully these know that mingling with motorized traffic is not a good idea.




So, I have a question for those who've managed to read this far.  During the P.E.O. party, one of the ladies gave a blessing before the meal, as we always do for meal get togethers.  Now, P.E.O. is non secular, however...

involves inspirational readings chosen by members, but P.E.O. meetings and activities do not reference, require or promote any particular religion or religious practice...

That said, I can confidently state that the majority of  P.E.O. members are Christian with varying degrees of piousness.  In a lot of cases, including my own, it's mostly a result of living in this country.  But the organization has been pushing for more inclusiveness in recent years, and I do know of a few non-Christians in the mix.

SO, back to the party and the dinner blessing.  It was VERY Jesus heavy.  In the past, whoever's done the blessing gave more of a generic blessing of the food and sisterly love, support, and fellowship, etc.  But this time, it was Jesus Jesus Jesus, and blood, and... well, perhaps you get the picture.

I don't think I was the only one who felt it over the top, but nobody was about to stop her.  I just wonder about the impression it made on the 4 or 5 guests in attendance who are not yet in P.E.O. but thinking they might want to be.

My question:  If attending an event thrown by a charitable organization of "no particular religion or religious practice" that suddenly turns very churchy, do you find that off-putting?



10 comments:

Ginny said...

Well all that Jesus Jesus Jesus and blood talk would not really make me want to eat meat. For a gathering like this a blessing of general thanks seems more appropriate. You can still throw something about blood in there.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Off-putting is an understatement!!!!!!!!
That whole thing would rub me the wrong way. I will stop there because I could go on a tangent with this.

Brian said...

If it's a one time thing like the blessing for a group meal - no big deal. But if the more pious members of the group start pushing the religious agenda in a group that is meant to be more secular - that ain't right.

Chatty Crone said...

Not sure what P.E.O. is. What does it stand for.

And I am a Jesus believer - and I wonder how you can have a Christmas Party without him -

Abby said...

Ginny, maybe that's why I turned vegetarian?

Margaret, thanks, that's what I was wondering. It seemed a bit much for the guests.

Brian, there was really no pushing beyond the meal blessing, so all in all, the evening balanced out. The wine probably helped...

Chatty, P.E.O. is a charitable organization that provides scholarships, grants, loans, and other support for women's education. Philanthropic Educational Organization. It's non-secular, but not necessarily Christian. Thanks, I should have said "Holiday" party. Gonna go fix it!



ShadowRun300 said...

Whew! I’m all caught up again.
I know geese can be mean, but still it makes me sad to think it ended that way for them. :(
As a teacher, I came across many “kids” who had test anxiety. And then you have my son, Amp, who had homework and essay paper anxiety, but could ace a test like nobody’s business.
As for your question to this post... I had to think about how I would have felt. And I think I personally would have been okay wth it, even though I’m not super religious myself. Just because I could understand it was important to her. But I probably would have felt uncomfortable for other people who I knew weren’t ok with it. Because I can understand it’s not their beliefs. Which means she probably should have gone with a more generic blessing. 🙃

Abby said...

SR300, yes, that's exACTLY how I felt. The woman who gave the blessing is a good friend of mine. I know she's devout and that's fine by me, but I felt a bit awkward for the guests.

Annsterw said...

My faith is very personal to me so I think I would have been uncomfortable but would not have said anything to the person that said the blessing. I am happy to hear that you still a lot of geese for others to avoid on the roads...HA!!!
I love that staircase picture - what a great luncheon!!!

Abby said...

Ann, Thanks, I'm with you. It's a personal thing, and I'm more comfortable with generic blessings in public. All in all, it was a good time!

Morgan Cartwright said...

If a person gave a churchy, churchy blessing, I would probably be okay with it and move on to eating. :) For others though, I know it can be hard and awkward to hear, but if they don't agree or don't believe in what's being said, it can just be moved past and enjoy the company and dinner.