Pages

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Sprout

The Illustration Friday prompt for this week is "sprout".  The first thing that came to mind, sadly, is the mighty Chia Pet.

"Chia" is the ancient Mayan word for "strength" (I just learned that today).

Chia seeds are among the most healthiest foods on the planet (according to that article I read where I learned about the Mayans).

I've seen chia seeds recently in the stores, but really, I just know them as the things that make the "fur" on Chia Pets.  I guess chia seeds sprout relatively quickly, so they work for the pets.

Does anyone actually buy Chia Pets?  As gifts?  Or are they associated with Christmas the same way fruit cake is?

I've never had a Chia Pet, nor have I ever wanted a Chia Pet.  Thank you to all of my family and friends for not giving me one.


6 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I like your Chia pet, but have never bought or received one. Nor do I want to.
I have eaten chia seeds though. Yummy little things. If mixed in a smoothie.....

Abby said...

"Yummy little things. If mixed in a smoothie....." True of pets in general, maybe? Eew.

Linda Hensley said...

Yes, I admit it, I've bought Chia pets. I also know the answer to your Star Trek question, Tribbles. I'm starting to wonder if I'm nerdier than I'd thought.

Abby said...

I knew I needed you!

Ginny said...

I saw your drawing before I read the post and I knew right away that it was a chia pet. I haven't had one in years.

Abby said...

It seems everyone knows of the mighty chia pet. I never had one, but I've had "Ch-Ch-Ch Chia!" in my head ever since I drew the dang thing!