Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

swoop swoop doo bee bop!

So I'm glad I was able to take one of my classes this summer semester.  One step closer to being finished.  Plus it's kept my brain active and productive, and that's certainly a good thing.

I've learned a lot of useful concepts too, but one thing I've learned this summer stands out.  However, I didn't learn through the university.  It just came to me as a gift.  I learned about swooping season.

Swooping season is something that happens in Australia, thanks to the Australian Magpie:

"This species is commonly fed by households around the country, but in spring a small minority of breeding magpies (almost always males) become aggressive and swoop and attack those who approach their nests, especially bike riders."  ~ Wikipedia

When I first learned of it, I thought it was just someone making silly videos, or there was just one nasty magpie someone managed to catch on video, but NO.  It's a real thing!  There are dozens of videos and other accounts of these... these... outright attacks.  On friendly bicyclists!

Out of these attacks have come a variety of theories on how best to deter these nasty swooping Australian Magpies.  The following is probably my favorite educational clip that tests a couple of theories.  Amber of "Amber and Billo's" - a popular morning radio team - takes a couple of theories on the road.  Let's see what her results are, shall we?? (make sure your audio is on)






[F*BLEEP*k] Yeah, Magpies!

Who's up for some educational adventure travel to Australia!?!  I'm in!  Swooping Season, let's go!
... seriously, I kinda want to do that.

-----------------------------------------
For Mama Kat's prompt this week:
3. Share something you learned in June


.

17 comments:

mryjhnsn said...

So... the eyes don't work. I will never complain about the swarm of mayflies that hit Ohio for three days a year.

LL Cool Joe said...

Oh blimey she's a nutcase. :D So I think we can tell from that video that the eyes don't work. They didn't really look like eyes though did they?

I had no idea magpies could be so vicious!

Abby said...

Kind of puts a new perspective on things, yes?

Abby said...

Yes, in the Magpie's defense, those were some pretty lame-o eyes!

ShadowRun300 said...

That is scary! I had the volume up and Mario was like "What are you watching!?" I couldn't help but laugh though. Should I ever ride a bike in Australia, I'll have to remember the eyes don't work. Thankfully that's unlikely.
You could probably make your own video on how to avoid your suicide bomber bees you kept running into last year.

Abby said...

Actually, I'm wavering on which is worse - swooping Magpies or kamikaze bees. I'm leaning toward the bees, having never actually been attacked by a Magpie! Eyes probably don't work for bees either.

Kimberly said...

Get Mum!
Get Mum!
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!
I can't stop laughing.
Oh I needed this laugh more than you know. Thank you!!!

lotta joy said...

LOL. I remember the kamikaze bees. Magpies, you can always carry an umbrella to protect yourself. I can't see you riding your bike while holding an umbrella.

Abby said...

You're welcome, I got a kick out of it too. And just what is Mum going to do??

Abby said...

So far, the bees have been nice to me this summer, and I probably just totally jinxed myself now!

terri said...

Ha! That was hysterical! The branches looked ridiculous, but apparently are effective! The crazy things radio personalities have to do for ratings...

I would totally do educational travel adventure to Australia with you!

Abby said...

Yeah, the branches... mmm, no.
The overprotective Magpies kind of reminded me of those bird parents in your yard. At least you're not getting swooped!

agg79 said...

Kamikaze magpies. And you thought getting chased by bees was bad.

Abby said...

I have yet to break out the body armor this year. Fake eyes drawn with a sharpie would probably just look like targets to the bees!

KatBouska said...

I am dying. I have never seen a bird attack like that. Terrifying! Haha!

Abby said...

Our magpies just like to make a bunch of noise - seems easier than swooping!

Riot Kitty said...

Oh my. That would freak me the fuck out, I tell you. Most birds already freak me out, and I haven't even seen the Hitchcock movie.