Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Silver Liningness Sunday

Happy Sunday!  It is currently a balmy 28 degrees, and I'm very grateful for that.  It was SO cold this week, 28 feels like springtime!

But enough about the weather, let's get on with the weekly recap, shall we??

First of all, as most of us know, Tuesday was Veteran's Day here in the U.S.  It's nice to set aside at least one day a year to ponder and be thankful for what our veterans have given us.

Meego had his first band concert for the year.  He's in the group for freshmen and other newbies, and they performed very well.  I will say that the high school demonstrates an excellent music program. Five different groups performed, so we also enjoyed the two groups that played before Meego's.  I was very impressed by the string symphony.  I told Magnum it was like we'd made a wrong turn and ended up at the Julliard School!  And really, it's just nice to see kids performing with such skill and poise.

As I was looking over the program, I saw that Meego was listed as playing a euphonium, and I was all, "What the heck's a euphonium??  I thought Meego plays a baritone?"  Magnum was no help.  Good thing for google:

Fig. 16.1

Figure 16.1 shows a side-by-side comparison of a baritone (right) and a euphonium (the other one).  They sound very similar, but the baritone is a bit smaller.  Gosh, this blog is so darn educational.

Anyways, enjoyable concert it was.

Also, I was able to spend a pleasant coupla hours with brother Guano yesterday as he was passing through to visit my nephew - his eldest who attends school near us.  Really, I think his whole family should just up and move here, but I'll take what I can get.




Fuzzy pic of the Guano I stole while in the coffee-for-Jesus coffee shop he found.

.

10 comments:

Marcy said...

It's gotten cold here too, but not that bad. Brrr.

Jimmy said...

I wouldn't have known the difference either, even after looking at the picture ha ha

Nice you got to spend some time with your brother and hopefully the weather warms up and they all move right there with you :)

Abby said...

It was march-of-the-penguins here for a while, I tellya!

Abby said...

I asked Meego how his baritone became a euphonium, and he looked at me like EVERYONE knows the difference!

Anonymous said...

Ask me what Amp plays and I'll tell you it's a sax. Ask him, and it's... well, I don't know what it is. So really. Ask him.
We've seen our first concert already, and once again I'm impressed with the skills of these young kids. All I could do was twirl a flag.
Nice that you got to spend some time with Guano. Why DOESN'T he up and move closer to you?

Abby said...

Well, I twirled a flag AND played french horn - second chair! (there were only two of us...)

Anita said...

I almost miss the days of attending school orchestra concerts. Girl #2 gave up her violin after freshman year; still plays piano though. I'm glad you got a Julliard performance. That makes it all worth it. Well, seeing the kid, too... regardless.

Coffee for Jesus? Does the shop feel heavenly? I hope so. :) Good that you go to see the big brother!

Abby said...

Chaco and Wolfgang didn't continue their musical aspirations beyond middle school, so this is our first experience with the HS concerts. Very enjoyable even if I don't know what instrument my own kid plays!

That coffee shop's been there a while, but I don't remember it being so "faith based". New owners, probably. And yeah, pretty heavenly :)

Guano said...

Always up for a little caffeinated inspiration, so enjoyed chatting at the Java Jesus!

Oh, and your camera adds ten pounds. Have that looked at, k?

Abby said...

We're bringing booty back.