Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

done! (almost)

We're already in our last days of the semester.  Geesh, it seems like the semester was just starting, and I was getting used to the whole idea of being a college kid.  I still remember fighting the urge to take my shoes off in that hot classroom.

I'll admit, it took me a while to get used to being a student again.  Luckily, the program I'm in has a lot of old people people from prior careers returning to get their post-bachellorate teaching licenses, so we're in similar boats.

Somewhere along the way, I realized I was enjoying the process.  My partner for elementary student teaching is a kid - literally, fresh out of high school.  Nice guy, a little quiet and tentative, but he puts forth a good effort.  Strange having someone young enough to be my own child as a partner, and I'm sure it was weird for him too at first, but in the end, we had a good time and worked well together.

For middle school teaching, I was partnered with another mom-returns-to-school.  She's working on her math degree at the same time, and her content knowledge is a little behind mine, but she's a whiz bang at power points and other classroom technologies where I'm lacking.  Perfect match up.

So this week we had final presentations for each of those classes.  They were fun and went well, and now... they're over.  I'm signed up for the next round of classes.  Next week, I have a final exam in my math class, and then it's time for a long break before the spring term.

As we wrapped up the teaching classes this week, I was almost sad they were ending.  But when we all compared notes to see what we were taking next semester, most of us will be continuing on together, so that was comforting.

Now, one more week - all these deadlines are being checked off and I find myself with some room to breathe for a while.  It's like that last part of a race where you can see the finish line and get this sudden surge of energy...

Except, it's not... not really.

It's more like when you're cleaning the bathroom and you're putting all the cleaning supplies away and then you notice the grime in the shower tiles that just need a bit of scrubbing, but you just say, "Ah, screw it".

But I'll get there.  THEN, I will kick my shoes off.

For Mama Kat's prompt:


5.) Talk about a problem you tackled this week.





Though not really a "problem" - still a tackling.
.

6 comments:

Anita said...

You make me (almost) want to go back to school. I'm happy for you... that it worked out so well this semester.

EnJoy your decompression break... and use some of the time to clean the shower scum and grout. :)

Unknown said...

I went back to school as an adult and earned an MBA at age 44. It was fun going back, but now I'm really glad I'm done. My son asked if I wanted to get a PhD and I just looked at him like REALLY??

Anonymous said...

So happy you've had such a great experience so far! I can attest to how fun it is to change careers, learn something new, and get to know a whole new group of people. I can also attest to how exhausting it can be.
Enjoy your break and kick those shoes off finally! You deserve it!

LL Cool Joe said...

Sounds like you deserve a good break now. My brain is far too fussyto ever consider going back to college again, it was tough enough the first time around!

terri said...

I'm sure the fact that you went back to school by choice, with a clear vision of your goals, has a lot to do with what a positive experience you're having. But that's just kind of the way you seem to approach life in general, so I'm not surprised at all that you've thrown yourself into school and are getting the most out of it. And know that you have admirers cheering you on during this journey. Enjoy your break!

meleah rebeccah said...

I'm so happy you're enjoying the college experience so much. And I'm happy that all of your partnerships have worked out so well! That's terrific.