Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

cheers!

I remember getting Wolfgang a pair of  sneakers when he was around 5 years old.  They were (Asics?) "Blurs", and he asked about the name.  I explained to him that, when he wore those shoes, they would help him run so fast that he would be only a blur to people trying to watch him.

With that, he took off running as fast as he could.  

You know how kids are at that age - they believe everything an adult tells them.  Especially their all-knowing parents.  Anyway, I guess he took that to heart and has been trying to remain blurry ever since.

So there we were, at another track meet yesterday.  Yesterday was very rainy.  No one was complaining, though, because (1) we always need moisture and (2) it wasn't snow - hooray!!  It really messed with the track officials and coaches, though.  This was the Metro meet - to determine the top track kids in the city.  

Magnum arrived there first as I had to pick Meego up from HIS track practice.  It was pouring rain, so I called to check the status of the meet, which went from "postponed", to a rearranged schedule, to cancelled, to uncancelled...

Screw it, Meego and I headed out to the track.

In the end, Wolfgang made it to the start and subsequently, the finish of the 2-mile.  He ran a very nice race, finishing 3rd.  I think after all of Mother Nature's moodiness, he was just happy to be finally actually running.  

GO!

As we stood in the drizzle watching the runners go round and round, we pondered our function as cheerleaders.  Various people in the stands, saying such helpful things like, "Run!" and "Keep Going!" or the more succinct "Go!" 

Obviously the athletes know this stuff, right?  It reminds me of the youth soccer days when the parents would sit along the sidelines offering words of wisdom like, "Kick it!!"

Meego had a track meet earlier this week too.  All us spectators shouted similar encouragement to the middle schoolers.

RUN!

And yet, it works.  

Having been a track team member myself many many years ago, it would have been a totally different and not-nearly-as-fun-nor-fulfilling experience if there was no one shouting words of encouragement to me, however obvious.  It's how I knew they cared.

And certainly the same is true for other endeavors, not just the athletic ones.  Going to school, getting a job.  Remember having a baby?  Everyone in the room saying, "PUSH!".  Like you wouldn't otherwise?

TAKE  IT!
 Would it help in yet other areas?
  • "Clothes in the laundry!  Clothes in the laundry!"
  • "Grab the used Kleenex!  Grab it all!"
  • "Remember to flush!  You can do it!"



And finally, I feel I should give a little cheer to Magnum. Remember how I gave him a hard time about his photo snapping skills when he was first getting used to his new iPhone?

He gets the award for Most Improved Photo Snapper for getting this one of the baton exchange between Jack and Wolfgang during the 4x800.


Couldn't have timed it better if he tried?
.

2 comments:

terri said...

It's funny to think how such a routine thing as buying a pair of shoes might have contributed to one of your child's passions! Who knows? Maybe he would have been a runner anyway. But would he have been so successful?

And I think you're right about encouragement. It doesn't matter the words, only that we feel the sentiment behind them... pride and belief in our abilities.

Magnum captured a great shot there. My iPhone doesn't take great pictures. It's a few versions behind the newest. But I guess I didn't buy it for its photographic capabilities.

meleah rebeccah said...

Mother Nature has been super moody over here too.


"Having been a track team member myself many many years ago, it would have been a totally different and not-nearly-as-fun-nor-fulfilling experience if there was no one shouting words of encouragement to me, however obvious. It's how I knew they cared."

Oh, absolutely!!!