Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

are you an expert at the unpredictable?

Today I learned what a locomotive firer is.  I won't spoil anyone's fun it by defining it here.

Why did I investigate locomotive firer job description?  I recently read a couple of articles about jobs most at risk of being replaced by automation.  Locomotive firer was at the top... in both articles.  Conclusion:  if you are a locomotive firer and still have a job, might want to update the old resume'.

For those who are not locomotive  firers, here's a chart of percent risk of automation replacement by job type.
















Where do you land?

Some other jobs that were tops on the list of the chopping block include telephone operators (those are still around?) and fast food workers.

Occupational therapists were tops as far as job growth.  I'm guessing that's owed to "unpredictability" and "applying expertise".  Along those lines, I didn't see any stats for strippers or prostitutes, but they're probably safe too...

Bottom line:  be special.

In other news, here's what my outside looks like today



... and it's corollary, the inside




I can do the job of a locomotive firer, but a  Roomba can't do what I do.



7 comments:

Annsterw said...

LOL! Thanks for the education! I just spent ten minutes on google reading up in case I ever need a new profession - HA HA! Have a great day Abby! :-)

LL Cool Joe said...

My older daughter is training to be an Occupational therapist. I didn't realise it was popular.

You have snow? Poor you.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Oh dear, no to the snow. It's 86 today. Too hot for May 1st but better than snow for me.
I can't fathom what predictable physical work could be?
Plumber? Contractor? I'm too dumb it appears Abby to worry about being automated I guess.

Abby said...

Ann, I hope it was educational :)

Joey, good for your daughter, she chose wisely!

Peggy, I'm entering day 3 of our gloomy and wet siege. We're used to lots of sun, and I'm too weak for this.
Predictable physical work would be like an assembly line worker: pick - place - pick - place - ...
Don't worry, there's no replacing YOU!

Brian said...

Looks like my job of testing things till they break is safe for now. Five more years!!!!

Hate to break it to you, but there is (was?) a Roomba that can mop. Got to test one once. If it's any consolation, it did a not so hot job of mopping. Too random.

More consolation: We went camping this weekend to break in the new camper. It snowed Saturday morning. No accumulation, but still!!

Chatty Crone said...

That was informative- I wonder what my grandson will do if he doesn't finish college?

Abby said...

Brian, make sure things keep breaking, you should be good.
A mopping Roomba? Sounds tricky. I recently saw a little mini Roomba that cleans phone screens. Yes, it was a gimmick at a trade show, but... you know you want one.

Chatty, hopefully Grandson won't do anything physically predictable.