Pages

Friday, June 22, 2018

getting oriented

We took Meego up for his college orientation this week.  A day and a half of figuring out classes and experiencing dorm food and stuff.  While he was doing that, Magnum and I hung out in college town.

Meego told us that about half or so of the orientation kids had parents with them the whole time- except for when counselors made them go away.  I know we could have similarly attended, but Meego didn't feel the need, and I think it's good for him to have that independence.  I've noticed that teens seem less independent of their parents than when our generation was their age.  But it's a different world now.

Anyhoo, Magnum and I had a little over a day to hang out.  This town is known for its bicycle friendliness, earning a "Platinum" rating before there even was such a rating.  Apparently, the powers that be had to create the Platinum category just for this place!

With that, we decided to rent some bikes and experience some platinumness for ourselves.  Upon reflection, I would agree with the rating.


In addition to all the bike lanes and pathways, the terrain is naturally bike friendly because the entire area is so FLAT.  We were still in Colorado, weren't we??  Here in Colorado Springs, bike rides are usually a series of lung-buster uphills balanced with brake-burner downhills.

As such, we got around just fine on these old-people bikes from the rental shop.  I realize now how nicely color-coordinated I was with my rental Granny bike.

And I think that was the first time I ever went for any kind of bicycling while wearing a purse.

It was a nice way to learn our way around while sometimes getting lost.






We also managed a bit of geocaching, which we haven't done in a long time since we haven't been anyplace new in a long time.  Really, those things are everywhere.


Cheesy "action" photo.











So it was a nice little getaway and a good orientation for Meego.  While there, I thought back to my own college days.

I won't go into detail, but back then, I wasn't doing any Granny biking, tree treasure finding, or wondering what the cat was up to...



6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know you had a son going to college. I remember those days. I have a grandson living here who will go in a year. Sounded like a nice trip.

Abby said...

Chatty - Yup, Meego's the youngest. Our other two are up and out. It was a good trip :)

Linda Hensley said...

My mom dropped me off and sped away. I don't even remember if she looked at the college. There were zero parents during my orientation. Maybe because this was a small, private school? Maybe because we were all independent artists? To answer your previous question, "squirl".

Abby said...

There were zero parents at my orientation(s) too. But I wasn't surprised to see so many parents at Meego's. As for you - Art School Confidential? :)

ShadowRun300 said...

Do you think the teens are less independent, or are the parents more helicopter-y. Or a mix of both? I often feel bad that we make our kids, Mario especially, do everything on their own. I mean, we attend the important things, but mostly, it’s all her. But I also know she’s going to be able to handle anything thrown at her, which is a great feeling - for both her and us.
Anyways.... glad you got to have some fun time while you were there. I think I’d be disappointed to find flat land in Colorado. Of course, if I was on a bike, I might feel differently. :)

Abby said...

SR300 - I do think there's more helicoptering going on, so I make an effort not to do that. It's better for the kids, as Mario can attest. I know some kids who choose a college based on how far away they can be from their hovering parents! And yes, it was weird riding for so long without hills. Of course, we were lost without big mountain landmarks like we have here.
"We need to go north"
"Which was is north?"
"I don't know!"