Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

when a young man's fancy turns to...

It was a warm night in late spring, and my coworker - who was Gay - and I were finishing up our shift.  Sexually orientation-wise, Gay was straight, it's just that her name was Gay.  She was straight much to the relief of the straight male population of our town, since Gay was young and pretty and thus, highly sought after.

So Gay and I worked the front desk of a busy hotel, and our shift was coming to a close.  Gay had a boyfriend, whom she'd been with for two or three years, and they had their share of rocky times as those young drama-laden years tend to bring.

He was Tony, and they made a nice looking couple, with Tony being the tight-muscled testosteral counterpart to Gay's young female appeal.  But alas, that night it was during one of their rocky times.

Enter Joey.

Joey was another superb male counterpart for Gay.  It was clear he wanted Gay, Tony or no Tony.  So Joey came a-knocking.

Gay and I were finishing up our nightly desk duties when Joey came up and leaned oh so masculinely against the counter.  His head dropping down and forward of his wide shoulders, with thick forearms and strong hands resting on our desk.  Not that I was really paying attention.

He and Gay carried on a little flirtatious banter as I sat a few paces behind tallying up receipts in my seeming cloak of invisibility.

Enter Tony.

Tony sees Gay.  Tony sees Joey.  I highly doubt that Tony saw me... like... at all...

Anyway, Tony was not happy.  He didn't even stop at the desk, he strutted right back there where we were penned and started giving Gay the what for, as in "what for you talkin' to Joey?!"

Our boss, from the "a-go-go" (whole 'nother story), stepped in from her back office and, more or less took Tony by the ear and kicked him out from behind the desk.  In fact, she told him to leave the hotel, which he did in a bit of a huff.

Joey was asked to leave the desk, so he went to the lounge. Gay and I commiserated on what she was going to do when our shift ended.  She suspected that Tony had been drinking based on his behavior, and she was clearly shaken up.

Next thing we knew, there was a ruckus outside.  We had a small office with windows facing the parking lot, and we saw Tony and Joey going at it.

Punches being thrown, bodies lifting off the ground, shirts coming untucked, faces turning red... it was a true brawl.

We just stood frozen as they went at it like feral dogs. Eventually, hotel security (a.k.a. the maintenance guys) were able to break them up.  Tony and Joey were allowed to go separately without involving the sheriff.

Such a spectacle. Modern times, but two young men were reduced to their primal natures and fighting for rights to the female.

It was so hot...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linking up with Mama Kat again for the prompt:
1. A memorable day at work.

17 comments:

May said...

Love the way you spin a tale! I suspect maybe better than Joey and Tony deserve!

Abby said...

Ha - probably better than they deserve, yes!

John Holton said...

Oh, I remember those days well. Thank heaven they're behind me now.

John Holton
A to Z Challenge Co-Host
The Sound Of One Hand Typing

Linda Hensley said...

Your last line still has me laughing. So who did Gay choose in the end?

Marcy said...

Great story and description! I liked your "seeming cloak of invisibility," too, since I am always wearing one.

Abby said...

Agreed!

Abby said...

I'm not very happy about the truth of that last line, but it is what it is...
Gay actually ended up choosing neither.

Abby said...

Ha - I think the cloak has been a good thing for the most part regardless of how my 20-year-old self felt about it!

Paula Kiger said...

A HA HA HA what a great read!

Abby said...

It's kinda funny looking back now on these things that were pretty typical shenanigans in my home town!

ShadowRun300 said...

Could totally see that happening at any of my hotels. Scary part is that now-a-days, at least not in my neck of the woods, they might not use fists...
I was always the one wearing the cloak of invisibility as well. Which for the most part was fine. But still, having a fisticuff over me would have been exciting.

KatBouska said...

Just a couple of bucks bangin' the antlers. Did the strongest male win?

Abby said...

Hotel jobs are often ripe with drama - but usually from the guests! Like we needed the local boys going all reality TV?

Abby said...

I tend to think the females won that one ;)

Ginny said...

They both seem like tools. Manly tools but still. Glad she didn't choose either of them. Fun read for us though ha ha

Abby said...

I think you summed it up pretty acurately, Ginny :)

Linda Hensley said...

I hope she ended up happy whatever her choice.