Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Silver Liningness Sunday

So how 'bout that extra hour?  Was it good for you?  Frankly, I'm not a fan of changing the clocks in either direction and wish we'd just get rid of the practice, but I won't complain about an extra hour.

Yesterday, I went to P.E.O. where my sisters cheerfully greeted me with warm birthday wishes!  Then I had to delicately inform them that it was not my birthday.  Due to a typo, my birthday was erroneously listed as November 1.  I told them that I intend to fully expend these last few weeks of my 40s.  They were fine with that and sang to me anyway.

Halloween came and went on Friday.  We had just enough candy.  I've noticed the trick-or-treat traffic has dwindled a bit over the last few years.  I'm not sure if it's because the neighborhood is getting older, or trick-or-treating in general is waning.  Maybe both.

Probably the cutest costume I saw was our 12-year-old neighbor girl.  She was with her little sisters and dressed as a baby - wearing footie pajamas with a pacifier clipped to them and carrying a teddy bear.  As I was doling out the treats, I noticed that the teddy bear was smiling and looking around.  It was the girls' little brother, born last May!

He was more of a costume embellishment than an actual trick-or-treater, but he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself.  His teddy bearness did include straps for his sister's shoulders, otherwise it might've been a chore to keep that costume intact.

Remember that messy hill photo from last week?  We were hoping to get our stones delivered this week, but a mistake was made that has delayed the delivery.  The girl who calculated and wrote down my order specs seemed quite ditzy, I think the ditziness has been confirmed.  Next week?

For this week's imagery, I'll share this photo that a facebook friend of mine from the hometown posted.  I found it rather synchronous .




Maybe she's not crying anymore.
.

16 comments:

Ginny said...

I think we should get rid of daylight savings. It just messes me up.

Jimmy said...

I agree just forget about Daylight savings time, spring forward, fall back, leave it alone.

I bet the little guy had about as much fun as his sisters, trick or treating is becoming a lost art in my opinion, really much too dangerous to go out like we could when I was a kid, we had two kids this year and Cindy sure loaded them up with candy :)

La Llorona is my homegirl ha ha just remember to only call her twice.

Riot Kitty said...

My God, you look young. Happy almost birthday!

Linda Hensley said...

I hate daylight savings time. I'll be grumbly for a week until I readjust. It's too bad Halloween isn't what it used to be, but your neighbor's costume sounds so cute. Happy birthday (whenever it is)!

Guano said...

That baby costume sounds really cute & creative!
And WTH, there's a parking garage in our hometown? No way....

Abby said...

I don't know of anyone who likes it. Why do we do it, again? I could google, but I just want it to go away.

Abby said...

When we were kids, one threat was the razor-blades-in-apples. Now, here in Colorado, it's pot-laced treats to look out for.

Abby said...

Thanks! AARP already sent my "greeting" too. The bastards.

Abby said...

Her costume was the cutest surprise of the evening. I had to do a double take, thinking he was a stuffed bear at first. Thanks for the looming birthday wishes :D

Abby said...

That costume was the best - cutative? Timing was perfect too, she won't be able to do it next year.
As for the photo, I don't know just where it was taken. Probably some big city like Raton.

Anonymous said...

Happy almost birthday! I can't blame you for wanting to hang on to these last few weeks of your 40s, but you oughta be proud! You look great! And you're running and biking like a girl in her 20s! Celebrate! :)
Sorry to hear the ditzy stone girl delayed your delivery. Hopefully winter will be delayed for you as well!

Jimmy said...

Yes I remember the razor blades in the apples, never came across one but the threat was always there.

I think drug laced treats is definitely one to worry about with all the new stuff out there it's terrifying.

Abby said...

Aw shucks, on many levels, I feel younger than my 20s... As for the positive aspects, I probably owe a lot to the bees.

Still waiting for stones.

terri said...

I think I didn't even really notice the time change. My body clock seemed to just adapt right to the change.

Noticed the same thing here in regards to trick or treaters. We had just over 50 of them. In years past, we'd have between 150 and 200. But all of this year's kids were of an appropriate age, wearing great costumes and were so polite. Kacey got a kick out of the little girl dressed as a pickle.

Happy early birthday! I've got one coming up soon too, and get to hang around in the forties for a couple more years. But I've already got AARP privileges thanks to my hubby. Not that I've ever used any of the perks. Tends to be one of those things I always forget to take advantage of.

Abby said...

We went through two big bags of candy, used to be at least double that. Like you, though, I didn't notice many big old kids as in years past. Mostly little goblins. No pickles, though!

LL Cool Joe said...

We were in the States on Halloween and went out for the evening. Great way of not sharing my candy with anyone. :D