Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

nice to feel wanted

Yeeks, Friday! Once again, the week has sort of sped on by. Aren't I supposed to be winding down after the holidays? Still waiting for the wind down...

The week started with a big honkin' snowstorm that provided a snow day for the school kids. With that, I feel like I've been a day behind all week. Tuesday, they all went back, including me at my crossing guard gig in 6 degrees F. Good test of the outerwear!

And speaking of the crossing guard job, no sooner had I acquired my lovely bright vest that the vice principal at the school was inquiring my interest about another open position they had at the school. Would I apply? That day??

Anyway, long story short, I went ahead and submitted the necessary paperwork. Cleaned up out of the orange vest for an interview, and now I have that job too. I think I'll like it - working with the title 1 students.

So, for now anyway, my desire to transfer my working hours from evenings and weekends to school time hours has been satisfied. I start next week. This is good timing as I'm between classes with my other job. I'm not sure if I'll stay on for that with a teeny amount of assignments, or do an inactive period, or just say good-bye.

I definitely like the idea of leaving the evening and weekend classes behind, but to be honest, I'm feeling a little wary of going from teaching adult students to teaching the 1st through 5th grade crowd. At least I know the school and staff pretty well, and they're a good bunch.

Either way, this is my last weekday "off" for a while...

... unless I get fired.
.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Taking on another job, and working in such cold weather? You're a real go-getter--I envy you!

terri said...

Looks like you've successfully transitioned to the work schedule you were hoping for. I'll bet working with the younger crowd will be every bit as rewarding in its own way.

agg79 said...

Crossing guard in 6 degree weather? Girl, you've got some serious cajones to stand out in those kind of temps. I salute your dedication and fortitude. I would be wearing 3 sets of long johns and a Carhartt Coverall (and still be cold). Looks like the opportunity for another role is opening up for you. At least it sounds warmer.

brandy101 said...

what moron would fire you?!

Congrats on adding hours to your new gig !

I', pretty happy with my gig, although everyone keeps ttelling me about adding hours next year doing something else...I guess I'll have to see how it goes.