Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

decisions

I've got the week off from work this week. One class ended last week, and another kicks off this weekend, so in the meantime - freedom!

Freedom and contemplation.

See, I'm trying to decide what to be when I grow up. Yes, I do the part-time teacher thing now, and it's good. For now. But there's always that ever-looming future, and I don't see myself being Test Preparation Place Part-Time Faculty Person for a long haul. I've always thought of it as a stepping stone, I just don't know where I should step next.

Degree-wise, I'm an engineer, but I "retired" 13 years ago. Most recent experience-wise, I'm a teacher, but I have no license, so my eligibility for teaching opportunities is limited.

I was at the elementary school yesterday, helping out with yet another volunteer activity. I swear, these things somehow know when my schedule opens up! A woman walked into the room where another VoMo and I were volunteering away. Next we knew, she was telling us about her weightloss goals and successes, her financial program progress, her parenting struggles.

She was a substitute at the school that day and, I guess, is just one of those people who is totally at ease getting to the nits and grits in a conversation. Suited me fine, I'm not much of a small-talker myself.

After she left, I looked at my VoMo cohort and asked, "Who was that, anyway?". She didn't know either.

But that short insightful conversation got me thinking about my own path. No answers yet, just thinking.


To take a break from all the thinking, I made a card for my mom for Mother's Day when I got home. It's been too long since I made her a homemade card, and that last one was probably crayon on construction paper.

Good old Mom, always makes me feel better, even when I'm clueless.
.

5 comments:

Judy said...

One day at a time, girl. That's all we can hope for, hahaha.

How many more days of school (freedom) are left?

Travis has 17; Tyler and I have SIX!!!!!

brandy101 said...

OOooh, I like the card.

What about "artist" (make printed notecards and things - those usually sell better than wall art) but for more steady income do the test-taker-teacher thang?

Me? I decided I'm going to run a pseudo store on ebay (ie - sell all the crap in my attic!)
I have to get some of the priority mail boxes and start taking pictures and writing descriptions.

I am going to experiment with how I merchandise stuff, too - although I can't really afford a dress dummy right now for this purpose.

terri said...

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. If money/talent/education were of no concern, it might involve writing, or interior design or web design. Of course, I'm more likely at this point to reach retirement than I am to pick up a new career.

agg79 said...

I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up.

Nice touch on the home made card. I think that is way better than the generic, store bought, Hallmark kind. I just wish I had your talent.

Scott said...

I've substitute-taught myself, and it's a thankless and lonely job. That woman probably appreciated your being there to listen. Like you (and she), I get bored quickly with small talk. And also I can relate to her--I feel more comfortable talking to total strangers than to people I know. It's not just that I'm very uninhibited. It's also because, with people who know me I have to watch what I say, so as not to damage our relationship. But with total strangers, there's no relationship to damage--so I can say anything I want.