Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2019

they probably wouldn't want him anyway?

In addition to our on-street mailbox, we have a P.O. box.  We got it several years ago to handle mailings we want to keep secure - credit card, other financial stuff, and the like.  We don't check the P.O. box that regularly, about once or twice a month.  I empty it if we're expecting something specific or if I happen to be at the post office.  It does tend to get stuffed with junk mail, so it's good to swing by just to clean it out and make room for the next round of junk.

Yesterday, I was out joyriding around on my bicycle running a few errands and decided to swing by the P.O. box as it had been about 3 weeks since I last emptied it.  As I was going through the pile of sale flyers, insurance offers, and charitable requests, one piece of legitimate mail appeared:  a jury summons. For Magnum.

Apparently, he'd put the p.o. box address when filling out something related to his driver's license.  And apparently, driver's license info is a  main source of the jury duty pool.  Magnum's in Denver this week for some work related training, so I opened the jury summons to see his appearance date.

It was for last week.  *GASP*.

We're not sure of how much, if any, trouble he's in.  We couldn't find anything specific online.  I think he's going to try contacting the jury commissioner. 

Both of us have been summoned a few times, but have never had to serve on a jury.  The one time I made it to the questioning box, the defense asked for a recess before asking me any questions.  They came back and had decided on a deal.  That's apparently how formidable I am 😝

Magnum was questioned once.  He'd brought his Asperger's with him that day.  I think the case had something to do with a DUI.  In answer to his question, Magnum began with,

"The fourth amendment of the constitution states..."

After Magnum delivered his brief civics lesson, the lawyers didn't say much else.  Then they conversed quietly among themselves and sent Magnum packing. 

Want to be dismissed from jury duty?  Start quoting the constitution.



8 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I get the summons but I never get to the jury part. I would like to though. I love that Magnum said that. I am certain they didn't want someone that could really talk his point if the jury is locked. But I must say I love the thought of it.

Abby said...

Peggy, I think jury duty could be interesting, educational, and/or a pain. I wouldn't fight it.
We laugh about Magnum quoting the constitution AND the reaction from the lawyers. He was all, "they couldn't get rid of me fast enough. They wanted someone with feelings". HA!

ShadowRun300 said...

I doubt he’s in any trouble at all. I “lost”mine in the mail last year, or at least that was going to be my excuse if anyone called wondering where I was. No one called. He’s got a good excuse if he does get a call. And sounds like he’s not going to be a favorable jury candidate anyway. I’ll have to study up on my constitution should I ever be summonsed again...

Chatty Crone said...

I wonder what will happen to him - Kelly just had jury duty last week! Hope it is okay. sandie

Abby said...

SR300, I debated just letting it ride in hopes that he wasn't required to go in, and no one would be the wiser, vs contacting the commish with the story.

Chatty, I'm wondering too. Hopefully nothing!

Morgan Cartwright said...

I will remember that! I recently got a Federal Jury questionnaire. I filled it out, but haven't heard anything back. I think a Federal Jury might be kinda fun to serve on.

Linda Hensley said...

The closest I've gotten is to be the extra juror. I listened to the case and thought, oh yeah, he's guilty -- but he has a family and needs to work... I think it's a good thing I didn't actually have to render a decision about anything.

Abby said...

Morgan, ooh, the feds? That could be interesting. A coworker of mine served on the grand jury for a month. He actually enjoyed it, learned a lot.

Linda, that would be a toughie.