Pages

Friday, March 22, 2019

to clarify

I think a bit of  'splaining might be in order.  

(1) Yesterday, I blogged a story of a hike where Chaco and I "lost" a guy on the trail when he didn't keep up with us.  To summarize, 
we'd hiked to two separate peaks that day and
  • The trail to peak 2 is only accessible by first climbing peak 1
  • A guy followed us to peak 2, but his friend didn't want to continue after peak 1
  • Chaco and I started our return by heading back to peak 1
  • Following guy followed us again and lagged behind while his friend waited for him on peak 1, so we "lost" following guy somewhere between peaks 1 and 2

Now, this is  not to say that he was left naked and alone out there.  Truth is, the Colorado mountains are well traveled in the summer - particularly the 14ers that don't require much technical climbing skills - and if I'm on it, that is definitely the case.

The summit photos I've shared here were taken after carefully considering a background that didn't include other hikers, but here is a more representative shot:



See?  Other peeps.  Torrey's Peak on a summer weekend can be like Best Buy on Black Friday.  It's for this reason that even solo hiking is usually quite safe, and if you lag behind one group, there will be others to help you along.

(2) I'm a minimalist, but my parents were not (really) hoarders.

Okay, this one, I don't even know if it's necessary to clarify here.  As far as I know, I've never referred to my parents as hoarders.  I may have mentioned that they had trouble throwing things away, and I think that has a lot to do with why I love minimalism.  But I've clarified it to myself.

I was watching a minimalist YouTube channel where the YouTuber explained her childhood with  hoarder parents.  It sounded awful, and I realized my parents' piles were nothing in comparison.  

In fact, in spite of their never-having-just-one-of-anything and their I-might-need-to-use-that-someday, our home was always actually quite tidy, and I was never ashamed to have friends over - something the YouTuber revealed. And let me further clarify that I had a great childhood and think my parents did a great job of raising my brothers and me.  For those who follow Joey's blog, we know that's not always the case despite outward appearances.  

*EXHALE*  There.  

But I AM totally appalled at the details that continue to come out of the college admission cheating scandal.  Lowlifes + money = bad combination.




4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Lowlifes + money + White house = bad combo too.
:-)

Hubby watches that darn Hoarders show from time to time.
I feel so badly for the kids who say they were so embarrassed to bring friends home. I've seen that on the show several times. And how it made them be 180 degrees different from their hoarding parents. My step mom can't throw anything away. But she is not a hoarder as this show depicts in any way shape or form. I know the difference.

Happy Trails!

Abby said...

Peg, that is sad about those kids of hoarders. I don't think I could watch that show for more than 5 mins or so. I had trouble just watching the trailer for Marie Kondo's series!
I think your stepmom and my parents grew up in a time when things were scarce, which led to them having trouble throwing things away. Yes, there's a difference between that and hoarding!

Chatty Crone said...

I have watched the Hoarders because it amazes me people could actually live like that - like is that for real - but I guess it is. I throw away stiff fast - my family are savers - not hoarders, but more than me! lol
Sandie

Abby said...

Chatty, I can't even watch that show. You and I could probably peacefully live together :)