Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

am I an outlier (weirdo)?

My first mistake was telling him I own a car.

Yes, I have a car.  It's all paid for.  We, in fact, have three vehicles that are fully paid for.  "My" car was actually given to me from my parents when it was no longer safe for them to drive themselves... actually, Mom gave up driving long after it was "safe" IMHO, but anyway... I gratefully took over ownership of the grandma car a few years ago.

It's a 2000 Toyota Echo.  Very economical, not so good in snow or anything else that requires much ground clearance, but it's perfect for what I use it for - running errands around town.  Kelly Blue Book says it's worth about $1,000 - $1,500.
Ooooh... fancy!

Magnum drives the Element for work, and we have a Honda Civic we got for Meego to learn to drive a stick. Boom, three vehicles.

My main mode of transportation is my bicycle, no big news there.  I also prefer to walk if it's practical.  In short, I use the car as a last resort.  I do this in the name of sustainability.  I prefer to not be a part of traffic congestion if I can help it, plus I enjoy walking and bicycling.  But it still makes sense for me to have a car for certain things.

I have a tutor student I meet with at a local community college.  There is a convenient bus route to said community college that runs from a stop that is a pleasant 15-minute walk from my house.  There is no safe bike route to get to the CC, so the bus route is a perfect alternative for me.  Yes, I could drive in my car and be part of the traffic congestion and add to the already existing parking headache at the college, but I prefer not to drive myself and a small backpack to and from.

Yesterday, I was on the bus, and the bus driver started making conversation with me.  I don't even remember how it came up, but I mentioned that I have a car.  He couldn't understand why I would ride the bus if I have a car, despite my telling him it was very convenient for me - hey, I'm giving kudos to his employer and justifying his job!

I guess he automatically assumed that my car must be a POS, I'm stupid, and I'm also impoverished because he spent the next 10 minutes or so of the bus ride mansplaining to me how to buy a car.  I didn't tell him that I didn't want/need to buy a car, that I'm not stupid enough to not know how to buy a car, and that I'm also not too poor to buy a car.  I let him go on talking in the hopes that he would stop.  That didn't work. In hindsight I should have told him all of the above.  I still don't know if that would have shut him up.  Plus, I was trying to be "nice" since he is the one driver I know of on that college route, so I figured I would be running into him again.

If anything, it was a reminder to me to try to not make wrong assumptions about people.  I've had other bicycle commuters tell me that they've had people try to give them handouts because the people assume an adult on a bicycle and not dressed in spandex must be poor and/or homeless.

I've noted here in the blog that I often pass panhandlers while I'm on my bicycle.  They never ask me for money, although I have been asked for weed.  An adult on a bicycle and not dressed in spandex must be poor and a pothead?


Ever wrongly assumed something about someone?  Had someone make wrong assumptions about you?



5 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

wow Abby is that ever bizzarre.
People make all kinds of assumptions about me.
that's fine most of the time.
I must drive. I can't walk anywhere.
I walked to my grocery store once. It is 3.5 miles away.
I only had 2 bags. I thought it was no big deal they were light. At least I thought so until I carried them 3.5 miles home. :-) I would love to live where I could only walk and or ride a bike. You are very fortunate.
And yes, I have made assumptions unfortunately and when it bites me in the ass I feel like I deserve it.

Annsterw said...

LOL - that is crazy Abby but I too a, guilty for making assumptions and judging others based on a quick glimpse. I remember a story the news had last year about a guy that ran around town and looked like he did not have a penny to his name. When he died; he was worth millions and it all went to charity as he had no family to leave it to. Bet his neighbors were kicking themselves for not helping him around the house!! HA! Great reminder!

Chatty Crone said...

I remember once in school when I was taking lessons at United to learn the computer - my teacher said that an old man in overhauls came in to get a ticket - and no one would go service him except her. Turned out to be a multimillionaire - she became his exclusive agent - never judge a book by it's cover.

Abby said...

Margaret, 3.5 miles is a pretty far walk to get groceries, and then turn around carrying two bags. Nice bike ride, tho :). Some cyclists around here complain about the lack of routes, but I know we have it much better than a lot of places.

Ann, I know I've done it too! I read a book several years ago: The Millionaire Next Door. Gave tips on becoming one. I'm still working on it!

Chatty, nice story - ya never know, do you!

Linda Hensley said...

I sometimes walk 1 mile to the store and 1 mile back. I've made the mistake of buying heavy things before so I try to avoid doing that again. Sorry to hear about your slip on the ice. I hope you feel better soon. Nothing like art and a puppy to make you feel better :) I'm sure we've all prejudged someone. I try to be aware to avoid it.