Pages

Monday, January 21, 2019

parents weekend

We took Meego back to school on Saturday.  He seems happy to be back to it after 5 weeks off.  That is a pretty long break, and without a job or other commitments, there was a lot of downtime.  But he did get in some time with friends and got his dental checkup in - resulting in subsequent dental work :\.

It was also nice to move him into his dorm and have it not be the drug den he was in for most of last semester.  I don't think we'll ever see the microwave or dorm fridge again, but whatev.

Also last week, I'd been talking with Wolfgang who was doing a bit of vehicle shopping.  The time had come to replace his lovable pickup Pablo.  Y'all remember good ol' Pablo?



1989 Toyota that just kept on a-going.  But it's not so great on 2019 emissions standards, and also not so great in the snow or for trips to the mountains.  He'd called me for advice on financing, etc.

My main piece of advice was to NOT commit to a car payment unless he got a 0% financing deal.  I know it's typical for people to go into debt for cars (and other stuff), but Magnum and I prefer the debt-free lifestyle, and since Wolfgang was asking, I was advising. We could help him pay cash for a vehicle with a limited loan and certain payback expectations.



...which was how we ended up helping him fund his new-to-him Jeep.  So, technically, he DOES have a car payment, except it's to us at that 0% interest deal.  He so happened to be test driving as we were on our way up to Meego's university.  Wolfgang lives in university town, so we were able to meet up with him and check out his new wheels and further get him established with insurance and other adulting stuff.




So it was quite a parental weekend, getting one kid settled back into another semester at college and helping another kid upgrade his vehicle.  Saturday was also the first time we'd left Penny home alone for an extended period of time.  Luckily, our oldest son Chaco lives nearby and came by to check on her.  She and the house both survived.

And today, I've got a big pile of stuff out on the porch waiting for the Pickup Please truck to come get the results of my de-cluttering efforts of last week.  It's like Santa Claus, but in reverse.

6 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I need a new car - 0% financing is from the Bank of Abby?
I may need a loan. :-)

Abby said...

Margaret, Ha - I don't think the Bank of Abby is eligible for government bailout!

Chatty Crone said...

What a wonderful thing you did for your son! I know he must appreciate it and you raised a great son being able to trust him to pay you back! I have a 2000 Honda CRV!

Morgan Cartwright said...

Jeeps are the thing! I like the bright red color! Tanner also paid cash for his Jeep, so no loan on his either!

Abby said...

Chatty, those Hondas just keep going too, don't they?

Morgan, Jeeps do have a following. Wolfgang said it was "the only red manual transmission Jeep for sale in the state". Good for debt-free Tanner!

LL Cool Joe said...

Hey that's MY Jeep! Only difference is I don't have the roof rack and my wheel hubs are red too. I LOVE my Jeep, but they are heavy on gas!