Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2018

with the grace of a turkey

Happy Thanksgiving, blog people of America!  I hope everyone has some time to relax and be grateful today.  We're heading to my sis-in-law's in a bit, so there's one thing I'm grateful for already:  she's hostessing.

SOURCE
Once again, I managed to drag my butt to the YMCA for the annual 5K Turkey Trot.  I'm not sure how many of these I've done, but it just wouldn't feel like Thanksgiving  without it.  I know I missed a couple for crap weather and a foot booboo, so I was happy to be there this morning.  And it was a nice morning for it - temps in the 40s, not too cloudy/windy.  My allergies have been bugging me this fall, and I was a bit clogged up and a bit topsy turvy, but hopefully good enough for a turkey trot.

I corralled myself in with the second wave. As we stood waiting for our turn to go, a man next to me wished me luck, and we talked about hopeful finishing times, blah, blah, blah.  He was probably about my age and "getting back into running".


"Second half is all downhill,right?", he asked.

"Yeah, first half is all uphill, then we turn around, and it's all downhill.  Aim for the hospital, that's my strategy", I answered.  It so happens that there is  a hospital right at the finish...

Next we knew, they counted us down, and we were off. I scrambled to get to the front of the pack for a bit more elbow room, and soon things opened up nicely.


 As promised, we slog uphill praying for the turnaround so we can  go downhill.  It's not TOO steep, but feels pretty much like this:



So I just enjoyed myself, not pushing the allergy envelope too much.  I saw some fun costumes.  Plenty of turkey feathers and tutus.  One family was dressed as silverware.

Eventually, I was in the homestretch and had the hospital in my sights, and then the big finish arch.  Now, I remember from years ago in high school track, you don't slow or stop at the finish.  Run like the finish is another 10 yards or so.

Well, nobody told that strategy to the kid in front of me.  He stepped across the finish, then instantaneously went to nearly zero m.p.h., so this happened:


Well, okay it wasn't QUITE that dramatic.  My life may have briefly passed before my eyes.




Right after that, I felt a hand on my shoulder.  It was Wolfgang who was chasing me in the final stretch. HA, I just managed beat him.  Okay, so he started a bit behind me, but I've got 30 years on him, so call it good.  Then his equally young buddies, who all turkey trot together each year, came trailing behind.  I beat all them all 💪(with that headstart...)

Anyways, I was hoping for a sub 25 and managed to just squeeze it in at 24:54. Good enough for 2nd place in my old lady division.  I did check the next OLDER division, and yes, a couple of those old old ladies beat me again.






And I did manage to create something that, at least, looks like a cake for our dessert.  I know I'm not the only dessert bringer, so no pressure.  And maybe by then, most will be tipsy enough to have lost their discerning tastes.

Happy Thanksgiving!  I'm grateful for all who visit here!  (Not you, though, spammers...)



10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Sounds like you had a great day - except the fall. Good job and happy Thanksgiving.

Tee said...

I love that you do an annual run on a day largely dedicated to overeating! Congrats on your great finish!

Abby said...

Chatty, yes it was a nice day and Happy Thanksgiving back atcha!

Tee, Happy Thanksgiving to you! The overeating also happened ;)

Linda Hensley said...

Congratulations! Loving the visuals :) Happy birthday to you and Magnum!

Brian said...

Nice run! And you absolutely get the win over the young 'uns. ThaHAt little head start doesn't count at all.

Abby said...

Linda, thanks! (It's a pretty boring story without the visuals)

Brian, thanks I'll take it!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Great job Abby. I am impressed.
Okay not the fall, but that was the dufus in front of you.


Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Great Job. Sorry 'bout the fall but in the last pic you look fabulous!

Abby said...

Margaret, thanks, and no one actually fell over - just a few less-than-graceful side swipes to be had. We weren't going nearly as fast as the young healthy kids in the gif :)

Annsterw said...

Congrats on the Turkey Trot!! I hope you had an amazing Thanksgiving!