Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

missed mountain and moving millennials

We'd planned a little weekend getaway for last weekend.  Go up to Winter Park, do some mountain biking and hiking and whatever.  As it happened, we ended up not going.  The stars just didn't align.  Nothing bad, but a casualty of getting various schedules and other obligations to match up.  And I think everybody made the most of their weekends either way.

Here is NOT a photo of any of US at Winter Park, but let's pretend...

SOURCE

For me, I went to P.E.O. on Saturday and met with a student on Sunday, so it sort of feels like the weekend didn't really happen.  What day is it?

As I type this, there's activity going on at the Millennial House next door.  I capitalize it because that's the name I've given the "estate".  We have no idea how many people actually live there, but there are lots of vehicles, and the residents' average age works out to about 20.  That value is kept quite low because of the fact that there's now a baby in the mix.  Apparently, it's not just the bunnies in the neighborhood that have been gettin' busy.

We're pretty sure that mom and dad of one or more of the habitants owns the house and rents to the pack.  I've met the owners and they are quite friendly, but it's rare for them to visit.  Despite their ages and demographic stereotype, the kids are okay as neighbors *knock on wood*. In fact, I rarely see them during the day, which makes notable the current activity.

My main dislikes are the late-night (more like early-morning) bonfire gatherings they like to occasionally have in their backyard.

Most of the guys drive full-size pickups, which fill up the street and driveway, but also attest to the fact that they all have jobs.  This morning, I see that three of the pickups have furniture and boxes loaded into them.  Someone's moving?

I hope it's not the baby.  He's cute, and he seems to have mellowed the household, from my external perspective anyway.

But maybe for the baby's sake, I hope it is the baby.



7 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm sorry you didn't have your weekend getaway.

Are you sure your neighbours aren't part of some cult? :D If it is the baby I hope he isn't just dumped in the back of a pickup truck.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Aren't neighbors fun? We have what we call a "dirtbag" family across the street. The comings and goings there and the characters that reside there are at the very least odd and interesting. :-)

I'm sorry your weekend was a bust. But any weekend I don't have to hike is a good one to me. :-)

Abby said...

Joey, they must be a cult. I keep waiting for them to recruit me!

Margaret, we've had our share of "fun" neighbors. Now, I'm a little nervous about who will take the place of whoever moved!

Unknown said...

Pick up trucks... huge and hard to park in the city.
Wish I can drive a smaller car but my ego gets in the way :)
I don't do neighbour watching because I don't want any truck with them, hahaha.

Abby said...

Ramzu, the pickups take up a lot of space, especially with 5 or so of them at one house! I've owned pickups before. Everyone is your friend when they need to move stuff.

ShadowRun300 said...

Sorry about the weekend that wasn’t. And I can relate to a weekend not feeling like a weekend. I’m constantly asking, what day IS it? Sometimes mulitple times a day.
We’ve got some neighbors out here who are very, um, entertaining to watch. I especially like it when the cops come around peering in their windows. Hubby and I have fun creating stories of their situation. Sounds like you can do the same. However the story may end, I sure hope the baby comes out on top, your street clears of a few trucks, and your entertainment remains.

Abby said...

SR300, so happens my "office" window looks right onto their crowded driveway, and our bedroom window is unfortunately a perch for observing the backyard bonfires and all the brightness, smoke, and noise that go with them. Did I mention the chickens? They're actually quite cute, but not as cute as the baby.
I'll have a weekend one of these days, hope you do too!