Pages

Friday, August 17, 2018

day 1

Overheard yesterday at College Town Walfarts:

EMPLOYEEToday was going pretty good until about 10 o'clock...

Yup.  Yesterday was move-in day at the university for Meego and a squizillion other dorm rats.  We managed to fit all of Meego's worldly possessions plus our three selves into one vehicle to make the haul.  That was partially aided by the fact that he, unsurprisingly, forgot a few things, but all-in-all, the day went smoothly.

The university is a couple of hours up the road, and as we made the trek, I was noticing other similarly loaded vehicles, complete with young people.  I was mainly taking stock of the bicycles I saw.  Some nicer than Meego's, others not.  That was good.  You don't want to have the best bike in the bike rack, but you don't want a piece o' crap either.

At the bike registration tent

It was a good day.  Classes begin on Monday, so he should be settled in time to hit the books.  His roommate seems like a nice guy, and the two of them have things in common.  They met through a university app that's "kind of like Tinder" to pair up roommates.

A friend of mine posted pics on fb of her daughter's move-in at the same university.  Her daughter's room looks like something out of Good Housekeeping magazine.  Meego's room does... not.

I've heard that, as far as dorm housing typically goes, guys are slobs and girls create much drama.  The guys should have the slob part down anyways.



After we got him settled and made two separate runs to the aforementioned Walfarts, we met up with Wolfgang who, coincidentally, lives and works in College Town.  So we got in a nice visit with him and met his new roommate

That's okay, I didn't want to use the sink anyway...

So, our house seems strangely huge and quiet today.  My first order of business is to tidy up and see what's left in the wake of yesterday's move out / in.  Then I'll figure out what to do with the extra time in my life now.  This showed up in my instagram today:



Okay.  I'm on it.  😬



8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh - I remember those days - had two of them. He looks very happy and I wish him the best of luck. Have fun. sandie

Abby said...

Thanks, Chatty. This is our third time, and it's never easy. But it's the natural order of things.

ShadowRun300 said...

Sheesh I’ve been gone a minute - allergies, pleasure room, and now Meego’s moved out/in? You’ve been a busy blogger. :)
Mario moved herself in this week since Hubby and I were both working. I felt guilty, but she accepted the challenge, and with a little help from friends was able to do it all. Her room may start out looking like a pic out of a magazine, but it doesn’t last long.
Glad you got to catch up with Wolfgang! I know how great those moments can be.

Abby said...

Well, best wishes to Mario!
The whole dorm decorating thing reminded me of the first day of middle school when all the girls were prettying up their lockers with streamers and ribbons, etc. The boys just took their bags of school supplies, chucked them into the bottom of the lockers and called it a day.

Marcy said...

This is such an exciting time of year with the kids about to start school again, but with summers off, I always seem to want them to stretch just a little further. Inspiring (but intimidating) self-improvement list there!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I watched my dear neighbor sending off her daughter. She was crying, the daughter was crying and saying she didn't want to go. (she got a full scholarship no less) I saw "mom" in the day yesterday and the mom was sad but said, "I've spent my life being certain she was strong, independent and smart, it's my time to let her go and grow on her own so to speak and thrive. But damn it's hard." I thought about what she said all day and I really think as you said it is the natural order of things which a great parent understands. But it can't be easy!

Linda Hensley said...

Wishing everyone happiness in their new situations. Contemplating your to do list... are we supposed to do ALL of those things? Seems like I'm averaging about 5 1/2 of them.

Abby said...

Marcy, it is exciting... and a little scary.

Margaret, your neighbor's absolutely right. I've always felt that my job as a parent is to work myself out of a job, but it's not easy!

Linda, thanks. We're slowly getting used to the big, quiet, and oddly clean house. I say I can check off number 11 by acknowledging not getting all 15 of the list!