Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2018

cruising with Pablo

Wolfgang has left the nest.  Again.

He'd been living back at home since last summer while considering his employment options.  He had an engineering internship that continued after he graduated last spring, but he wasn't really feeling the love for a long term position at the company.

But at least they have a fun bowling team and an annual chili cook-off...

In the meantime, he's been living the good life of free room and board at our place while perusing job openings and such.  He landed a position at a firm a couple of hours away from us, secured an apartment, and move-in day was yesterday.

Wolfgang rented a U-haul and got all packed up, but one issue remained.  What to do with Pablo?

Pablo is Wolfgang's lovable 1989 Toyota 4-speed pickup.  He's a spunky little reliable truck that has been a faithful companion for two or three years.  He hasn't spent a lot of time on the highway, however.

Pablo - stud


Luckily, it's spring break for me, and Magnum also had yesterday off.  We could help Wolfgang move - yipee.  After considering some options, we decided that Wolf would drive the U-haul, Magnum would drive Ellie Mae (our awesome Honda Element), and it would be Pablo and me to round out the convoy.

Honestly, I had my misgivings.  How would Pablo do on such a long (for him) trip?  What about Monument Hill?  All those sustained RPMs?

We got the U-haul loaded up and headed out, with me checking to make sure I had my AAA card handy...

But that little chicken truck?  He was AWESOME!

He just hummed along - up Monument Hill, hardly needing a breath.  Through the crap traffic of Denver, then further up the open road to the new home.  I could almost feel his joy of the wind in his hair!(?)

I was alone with Pablo for the trip, and he was loud.  He was loud because he was built before sound insulation was much of a consideration for cars.  Even with the windows rolled up, I could hear the wind rushing past us and the sounds of other cars going by.  It was way cool!

But I could also hear Pablo's engine, it was happily purring the whole way, not a sputter to be heard.  At about 50 miles from our destination, I saw the odometer roll over to 188K miles.  The trip only used a quarter of a tank.

with Pablo -
the first to arrive at the destination

We got Wolfgang all moved in and stocked him up with a few groceries and such.  It's a nice new beginning, and I'll miss having Pablo... er... Wolfgang around.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linking up with Mama Kat for the prompt:
6. Write about the last thing that surprised you


10 comments:

Jimmy said...

You really can't go wrong with a little truck like that, I had an orange Datsun, yes Datsun...back before they were Nissans, and Pablo so reminds me of that truck.

Abby said...

Hey, I remember Datsun!
I actually had a little blue '79 toyota pickup - a "PrePablo". Good times.

Madamdreamweaver said...

Wow, what a fantastic little truck! I hope Wolfgang likes this employer better.

Abby said...

Pablo is just so lovable :)

ShadowRun300 said...

Those little Toyota pickup trucks are just troopers. My dad drove one FOR. EVER.
Congrats to Wolfgang on his new employment and his new place! You gotta be feeling pretty proud right now. :)

Abby said...

Pablo is such a cool dude...um...pickup. I'd heard those engines go forever.
Yep, I'm happy for Wolfgang, looks like a good fit. Congrats goes to the people who hired him ;)

KatBouska said...

A couple hours away!? You're going to have to hop on your bike pretty early in the morning when you go visit. ;)

Abby said...

Ha, yup! I checked google maps. It says it will take me 12 to 13 hours, assuming I survive.

LL Cool Joe said...

It's hard when they move away, and I'm sure you'll miss Wolfgang too.

Abby said...

You know it, Joey. But it's the natural order of things.