Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2018

bang time

It's banging season again, AKA winter percussion time.  We attended the regional competition yesterday.

Some might recall that Meego's group was the state chamPEENS last year.  This year's scores aren't quite on the same line, but I think the kids are having fun anyways.










It's a judged competition, and I don't get too caught up in the standings.  It's just pretty entertaining most of the time.

One of the groups had a "hillbilly" theme and broke out the moonshine jugs, bow saw, jaw harps, washboard, and spoons.  I think they were my favorite.

Another group depicted this crazy violent barbarian theme.  A cymbal player fell down during a crossover, but the whole show was so violent and chaotic, it fit right in.  I know they were having fun!  The first place group was dressed like Keebler elves.  Their show was also quite creative as they banged on various wooden things.  Later we learned that they were supposed to be trees...

At times, it all seems a bit overdone to me, but it's nice the artsy kids have something to occupy them during the winter months.  There is also winter guard - indoor flag and rifle competition.  Meego's girlfriend is active in that, and Meego was telling me about some of the obnoxious mom volunteers.

"Are you sure you should eat that much?", and such, during team lunches.

This is why I'll help out here and there but don't sign up for any boards or committees at this level...

In other news, it's been a good week.  I sold some stuff today on craigslist in about two hours, which tells me I could've asked for more money.  But really I'm glad to have it gone.




6 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I can’t handle the obnoxious moms either. I’m kinda happy those days are over.
But the drum lines are so much fun to watch. I certainly miss that.
Congrats on your Craigslist success. Having it gone is worth more than any money you could have made. I wish I was as dedicated as you at getting rid of things. We’ve downsized, but we still got a long way to go...

Abby said...

I've seen some glimpses of those hardcore moms. I'm okay helping out for a few hours, but that's about all I can take.
Every time I sell something, I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner :)

Morgan Cartwright said...

Alli made the cheer team for next year, so I need to prepare for the hardcore moms. I'm like you, I like helping out for events or small things, but I'm done with being on the committee or in charge of things. This year of Girl Scouts has burned me out on that. That's why for Daycamp, I took the job as cook and I'm so flipping excited about it.

I've never sold anything on Craigslist, but you are giving me courage to do so. I need to sell my kitchen table, so I can buy a new one. The one I have is too big for the space.

Linda Hensley said...

Thoughts for that mom... pressuring a kid about food may have a long-term result opposite to your goal. (stifling my muttering on that topic) On the plus side, I'm feeling a little inspired to find things to bang and call it music :) Glad the kids were having fun.

Abby said...

Daycamp cook - sounds fun!
Craigslist has been a handy tool for me, good luck with the kitchen table.

Abby said...

Not every mom is a busy-body mom, but all it takes is one...
I will say that those "Keebler Elves" were quite creative and musical on the nonconventional things they were banging on. And they took first place - woot!