Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2018

the late starters


Have you seen them?  The Resolutionists? 


It happens every year at the beginning.  All these new faces "out there" - running, going to the gym, power walking...  But, strangely, I didn't notice ANYone.  I'd even avoided the gym the first few days of the year, assuming it would be teeming with newbies for a while.  Then one day during that first week, I forgot and went on in.


And it was... less crowded than usual?  Plenty of room to move around, plenty of available equipment, what was up?  I thought maybe it was the time of day I was there - late afternoon - which isn't peak hours.






But I asked Wolfgang, who goes in the evenings which are peak hours, and he said the same thing.  Not only was it not crowded, it was actually less crowded than usual.  We were flummoxed.

HOWEVER, it seems they are just late.  This week has brought a noticeable increase in unfamiliar faces, both at the gym and on the walking/running paths.  Better late than never, I suppose.  But every year, the same thing happens. The increase in traffic lasts a couple of weeks, and afterwards, it's like it never happened.  Will that be the case again this year? 

More power to 'em, I say.  For the people who decide to take up running or walking or bicycling or some other outdoor activities, this is actually the worst time of year to start in North America.  Maybe that's a reason why the numbers drop off so quickly. 

I didn't make any resolutions - well, other than the one I make every year to cook better - as in healthy and balanced - meals. I'm doing okay.  We'll see where I am in a couple of weeks.  Frozen pizza, anyone?



5 comments:

Tee said...

I noticed the same thing at my gym. I chalked it up to the stretch of below zero temperatures.

Jimmy said...

Maybe all the resolution makers were trying to wait each other out at the same time.

LL Cool Joe said...

I suppose I ought to make an effort to go to the gym and cook better. Maybe not, I'll join you in a frozen pizza though.

ShadowRun300 said...

I was surprised not to see a whole bunch of new faces too! Then again, I hit the gym at 4am. I’m surprised I see any faces....

Morgan Cartwright said...

The same thing happened at my gym! I just thought it was because it was later in the evening when we all went. Late start resolution makers don't want to get out in negative degree weather I suppose.