Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2017

some pics, no ink

Last weekend, I mentioned how Magnum and I came upon a cute little rattlesnake while out geocaching?  Lo and behold, a Colorado hiker died after being rattlesnake bit last weekend.  It's actually quite rare to die from a rattler bite, especially if medical  help is available, which it was for this young hiker.  Plus, it's not like he was out of shape, he was a triathlete who loved to go on hikes.  Sad thing.

I have since learned that those little young snakes are often more dangerous because (1) they usually inject venom whereas adults will often "dry bite", and (2) the younger snake's venom is typically more toxic than with older snakes.  Well, now.  I feel bad for the guy's family and friends, though.  By all I've read, he was a really nice guy.  Be careful out there.





On a much lighter note, it was a lovely morning for a bicycle joyride.

The fall air was crisp, and I realized I looked somewhat like a scuba diver on dry land in the cool-weather garb.  Balaclava season is upon us.











I snapped this photo of a hot air balloon hovering at a height I would not be comfortable hovering at.




But it was pretty from the ground.

Yesterday, we went to watch Meego and the gang at a marching band competition.

Meego and the rest of the bangers

They had a good showing, despite the fact that it was annoyingly windy.  I felt for those flag girls - do a toss move and, "where'd my flag go?!"

I'd been keeping up with Inktober 2017 until yesterday.  The day just got eaten up by marching, and in-lawing, and haircutting, and general lazing arounding.  So now I'm behind a day, but I'll catch up.  It's the halfway point, I can't stop now!



8 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

I can hear the drums :) I'm perturbed by "The Incident" perps. Why steal something to smash it? If they feel a need to smash something, why not pick something out of the trash? They need help.

Abby said...

My thoughts exactly on the perps.

ShadowRun300 said...

So sorry to hear about the hiker. :(
I'm so impressed you bike in the cool weather. I don't mind running, but biking is so cold! Then again, I don't have a balaclava. (I had to look that word up....).

Abby said...

Yeah, freak thing with that hiker, just out enjoying the day :(
Biking in the cold is invigorating! But yes, balaclava needed, which does wreck any hairdo you might have going on...

Jimmy said...

Yes the young rattlers are far more dangerous than the grown ones, it's sad that the hiker had to die from his bite, you just never know.

Meego and the bangers are looking good in spite of the wind, I can just picture the flag girls waiting to catch their flags...

Abby said...

Freak thing with that hiker. I guess there's solace in knowing he died doing something he loved?

The band took 2nd in their class and 3rd overall out of 16, so good job. Everyone else had the wind too!

Riot Kitty said...

Wow, that is sad. I remember my grandparents had a gun specifically for rattle snake death when they lived out in the woods.

LL Cool Joe said...

I think hot air balloons are beautiful, but the idea of being miles in the air in a wicker basket full of hot air sounds like a quick way to die to me.