Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

rattlers, study hall, and revealing quizzes

Magnum and I got in some hiking/geocaching yesterday afternoon. It was a gorgeous day out, plus it's supposed to turn crappy overnight tonight, so we had to go outside.




We had much success finding caches in Ute Valley Park, where we also came across a cute little rattlesnake sunning itself.

That park is known for rattlesnakes, but when we came upon this one, I realized it was the first time I'd seen a live rattlesnake in the wild.

He/she was actually quite cute.  A young one, no more than 18 inches long, I'd say, with the cutest little rattle.  I tried to get a decent photo of it, which was when it showed us the rattle and that it knew how to use it.  But it slithered off into the grass before I could get a decent photo, probably cursing the damn weekend hikers.






At work last week, I had to send emails out to the parents of 11 students who are failing study hall.  One one hand, 11 out of about 250 isn't a bad percentage.  On the other hand, IT'S FREAKING STUDY HALL!  Who fails study hall?!

I don't think I had a formal study hall during my high school years.  I recall that certain teachers would just sometimes call a study hall day to get caught up.  I do remember being in the school library with a couple of friends as we worked through sex quizzes in Cosmopolitan magazine.

Why did my high school library have a subscription to Cosmo?!?

Oh well, can't say I didn't learn anything in study hall...

Today's Inktober submission:

8.  Crooked




6 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

What is study hall?

Looks like a beautiful sunny day in the first shot, which would have been more exciting if you'd been holding the rattlesnake!

That last drawing looks like an ad for Ikea. :D

Marcy said...

How exciting to see/hear a rattlesnake in the wild! I'd be too scared to try to get a photo, though, I think.

In my middle school we have "learning lab," which is the same as the study halls I used to have at the high school level. We don't give grades for it, though, but I occasionally have to warn about making up wasted time during lunch if kids are disturbing others.

ShadowRun300 said...

How DO you fail study hall? Sheesh!
Glad you took advantage of the good weather while you could. I saw ya'll's weather on the news this morning. Yuck. I would not be ready for that yet. :/

Abby said...

Study hall is a class period during the school day for students to work on stuff for their other classes. I bet the UK has something similar, but with a way cuter name.

Abby said...

Then there's news this morning of an area hiker who actually died over the weekend after being rattlesnake bit! I understand it's rare to die from rattlesnake, but obviously it can happen. Still, the little guy was cute.

Our school has "foundations of learning" for freshmen, and "guided study hall" for 10th thru 12th grade. I've got the older kids, and they do have to do a few things on which they get a grade, much to some of their dismay...

Abby said...

I had to figure out the wording for those emails to make it sound like it wasn't actually a joke!

I'm glad we took advantage of the nice weekend too, today was crapola!