Pages

Sunday, October 22, 2017

graceful, deep, and furious

This week has been a real whiz-bang of activity!  Mainly featuring parent-teacher conferencing, P.E.O.-ing, marching band regionaling, and the continuing saga of Inktobering.  Whew.

It's all good, but it's meant little to no blogging.  I'm happy to be here now.

Parent-teacher conferences went as expected - meaning that really NO one came to talk to me.  I'm high school study hall, for chrissake.  Luckily, I was assigned to the library with a few others that no one typically visits - a couple of P.E. teachers and a part-time math tutor.

We had a rip roaring good time in the library. Sadly, the one woman who stopped by my station just came by to sign something for the other study haller (who had smartly taken the night off).  I was glad for the visit until I realized she'd walked off with my pen.  *sigh*.  I liked that pen.

Meego had marching band regionals on Wednesday and will by vying for state competition later this week. Their show theme features a ship lured by mythical sirens, so yeah,  the ship crashes, etc.

They've got these props that are meant to be the rocks that the ship crashes upon, and various members of the band go up and down these rock props during the show



On Wednesday night, one of the bass drummers bit it on the way up the prop, fell off the ramp.  An audible "Oh shit!" was  emitted.  But I'm pretty sure that only the other parents in our close vicinity heard me 😳.

She wasn't badly hurt, composed herself, and recovered nicely for the remainder of the show.  Later I learned that this is not the first time someone has fallen on that stupid ramp - friction problems.  I say it needs a better solution than what they're doing now, but then again, it IS a shipwreck.  Say it's part of the show?

Speaking of recovering, I've got my head slightly above water on Inktober after falling a bit behind this week.  I managed three drawings yesterday to make up for a couple I'd missed

17.  graceful

20.  deep

21.  furious

Today, I plan to be all caught up!  Just need to finish Fat, get Filthy, and hit the Trail!


8 comments:

Jimmy said...

Looks like they are going to have to do some work on that ramp before someone gets hurt.

Nice job on your inktober drawings.

Linda Hensley said...

Looks to me like the slope of the ramp is too steep? Sirens seems like such an odd theme for the competition. Shipwrecks and ramp injuries? They should've gone with something more victorious, but wishing them success. I like your "deep" :)

Abby said...

Seems to me, it's a problem that needs to be properly fixed after just one fall, but I'm not on that committee...

Abby said...

The ramps apparently have grip tape that gets dirty and wears out and loses its effectiveness. Maybe the directors will scratch ramps off their list for future props!
And "deep" was my fave of the weekend inktobering - getting those feet right was challenging :)

ShadowRun300 said...

I love the creativity of the shipwreck, but yeah, live and learn with the ramp.
Your Inktober drawings are so good! I wish I had your talent. Or any talent really. :)

Abby said...

It's a nice show. The flags are the sirens, so that's pretty cool :). The slippery ramps, not so much.
Inktober has been fun, glad I heard of it. There's no Cupcaketober?

LL Cool Joe said...

Is it just the girls that were holding the rock props?

I like all 3 of your drawings, with the nice use of solid black on them.

Abby said...

The props stand petty sturdily by themselves. The girls in the second pic are flag girls/sirens, and I think they're bending down to swap out some flags, so it just looks like their holding the rocks up.
The solid black in the drawings makes for a cheap high :P. Who knew?