Pages

Monday, August 14, 2017

and so it begins

I vaguely remember freshman year of high school.  One notable characteristic was the vast difference between freshmen and seniors.

The seniors seemed SO grownup.  They drove cars, had serious relationships, and muscles (guys), and facial hair (guys)... okay maybe I mostly noticed the guys.  But in general, they all just seemed so old.

So this morning was the first day of school in our district and my new job.  Freshmen-only day at the high schools.  We made a big welcoming "gauntlet", then opened the front doors as these seemingly tiny teenagers came streaming in, looking rather like deer in the headlights.  Some seemed so young and small.  *sniff* you forget how small they are *sniff*

It was nice for us newbies too, to just have a few innocuous students in da house.  After the big gauntlet rah rah, and everyone was settled in the gym, my newbie coworker says, "That was exhausting!"

I looked at my watch.  About 5 minutes had gone by.  Just 7 hours and 55 minutes to go!

Later, after things calmed down a bit and the Freshmen went through their paces without any upperclassmen to harass them, they generally seemed pretty happy to be high schoolers.  I got situated in my room, which was assigned only this morning because of a bunch of last-minute flux.  I went to check wi-fi networks for my phone.

It's interesting to note that the high school is a good-sized complex, but plopped smack dab in the middle of a residential area, so a number of wi-fi networks showed up within range.

I had to laugh at the name of that last one



I guess if you live that close to a high school with 1700 students, it's good to have a sense of humor.



7 comments:

Jimmy said...

A good sense of humor goes a long way, and a good password to keep 1700 kids off of your Wi-fi, we had one pop up for a while that was named FBI Surveillance Van, either someone's humor or the FBI got bored of watching us.

Abby said...

Ha, that's a good one! ... or you just got boring.

ShadowRun300 said...

Ha! That's funny. :)
So how'd it feel to go outside of the home to work? I would imagine it's pretty exciting. I certainly was excited about re-entering the work force. Should I ask you again when the honeymoon's over?

Morgan Cartwright said...

The neighbor is hilarious!
I hope all the Freshman enjoy their first day with all the other grades.

LL Cool Joe said...

Haha, you can't blame them really!

Abby said...

Well I have to get used to having a schedule that someone else sets for me! But other than that, so far so good :)

Abby said...

As far as I know, they all survived.