Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Silver Liningness Sunday

Hello and happy Sunday!

This was a nice productive week.  The temperatures are starting to cool, and that's a welcome thing.




I'm still acting like I'm presiding over my P.E.O. chapter as the queen bee is still attending her night class.  I'll admit that being thrown upon the throne has helped me get to know everyone better and vice versa.  Okay, it's been fun.  We're gearing up for our annual Oktoberfest.  Yay, let's all be German!







Wolfgang was around yesterday.  He bought this old neglected pickup about a  month ago. It runs great - apparently these old Toyota 22R engines just go forever - but it's needed some TLC (recall the baldo tires!).

Yesterday's mission was to get it looking better.  The paint on the hood and roof were quite faded, so he found this stuff  to bring them back to life.  I admit to being skeptical at first, but he went for it.  A little while later, he came in the house and said, "Mom, you should come look".

After
Before









       
 Not too shabby, eh?  I took a pic after he'd pulled it out of the garage.  Ellie Mae looks kinda jealous...



Chaco was around a little this week too, looking for something that ended up being in his pocket the whole time.  Oh well.  He recently took 2nd place "IN THE WORLD" for a hacking competition held by the NSA. *Hmmm... wondering if having "hacking" and "NSA" together in a sentence/blog post will attract all kinda unwanted attention...*

Originally, he was 2nd "in the nation", but apparently a university from Sweden had thrown their hat in the ring which boosted Chaco to "2nd IN THE WORLD" status.  Thank you, Sweden!

Anyway, he says the top 50 are supposed to receive some sort of award, but he's just happy with his standing.  It's nice recognition for him and for the university's computer science program.  I know nothing about hacking and have just told him that, as long as he uses his skilz for good and the Feds don't show up at our house, I'm fine with it.

In other exciting news, I mowed the back yard.  With no trampoline.  It was good.

.

15 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow that stuff really does work. I wonder if I can get it in the UK!

I assumed hacking was a bad thing, but I suppose if you do it to fight crime etc. it's a very useful skill to have. Sometimes I can't log into my own computer, so I don't think I'll be any threat to Chaco. :D

ShadowRun300 said...

Wow! Wolfgang's truck looks brand new! I'll have to make note of that stuff.
But frst, I have to come clean - when you said hacking, I thought you meant, ya know, coughing and spitting. That seems more typical of what college kids would do. (Or is that just the kids I went to school with.) Anyway, I figured it out, and I'm proud of Chaco! Much more prestigious than breaking the world's spitting record.
A trampoline free lawn mowing?! LUCKY!

agg79 said...

2nd place in the world? I imagine he's got a budding career for him in the NSA (or he'll wind up on some watch list).

Nice looking truck. It looks a lot like my old '85 SR5 Xtra cab I drove for 15 years. Those engines really do last forever if you give them a little TLC and they do clean up nicely with a little wax. I found it funny how the body style and hardware did not change very much over the years. Only reason I sold mine was that it just couldn't quite tow an Airstream.

Abby said...

If you need some car shining up and can't get this stuff over there, remember you've got friends over here *wink*wink*

I've learned that hacking is a highly marketable skill. Knowing how they get in is knowing how to keep them out!

Abby said...

I had low expectations on getting that truck to shine like that without a new paint job.
As for hacking - ha! Now I'm picturing the contest! Actually, Chaco did partake of something similar to that kind of hacking competition back in elementary school - it's how I first met the vice principal *ahem*

Abby said...

I can practically feel the NSA's "eyes" on us now.
Dang, Agg, I had a '79 SR5 pickup. Where will the coincidences end?! I loved that little truck, so fun to drive. Wolfgang's brings back fond memories. If only he'd let me drive it more... I traded mine in for a little plymouth colt that won me over with awesome gas mileage, no Airstreams here. Still miss that truck, though.

Junky's Running Dry said...

Super jealous of the pick-up! Looks great!

Abby said...

That little truck has been enjoying a nice makeover.

Ginny said...

wow I didn't expect that stuff to actually work! The truck cleaned up nice!

Ginny said...

I hit post too soon! Congrats on the hacking Chaco! That's impressive

Abby said...

Maybe I'l ask the hacking Chaco to do a tutorial for us on hacking into others' blogger profiles and editing comments :)

terri said...

Wow! That truck looks impressive! Nice work!

Congrats to Chaco! 2nd place in the world? Seems like he should be handed a big-time job or something as a reward.

Abby said...

Seems like :)

Riot Kitty said...

Yep, the NSA is onto you. And now probably me.

Abby said...

Yeah, so much for undercover blogging...