Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Silver Liningness Sunday

Happy Daylight Savings!  (Not a fan)

It's around 50 degrees outside.  Sorry for the meteorological updates, but that's an exciting thing this weekend!  Snow and Ice are having a melting party!  They invited their good friend, Mud!

I did manage to run in the outside a couple of times this week.  I hadn't done that since before I came down with the flog and then our outside became overly white and frozen.  I'd tread the mill a few times, but the problem with that is that the treadmill doesn't go downhill.  So now my downhill running parts are making their hiatus known.

On a related note, I'm grateful for Burt's Bees Miracle Salve, despite the creepy face on the lid.  If not for my companion canister of Burt's Bees, creepy face would be my title because my face would have mostly scrubbed off from the weather.

Speaking of scrubbing off, our school district did their Bald 4 Bucks event this week.  Kids raise money for leukemia and lymphoma research, then have their heads shaved at a grand assembly.  I'm sure readers here remember when Wolfgang went bald a couple three years ago because such events are major for readers here...


No, Meego did not get into the barber chair, but our neighbor friend "Red" did.  Thing that makes this notable is that no one can remember the last time Red had a haircut.  That's him, jammin' on the marimba at last week's percussion competition:



Friday morning, when he left for school, Red's hair was as long as, if not longer, than mine.  Now, he's our neighborhood honeydew!  

So it's a fun and visible way to raise money for charity, but really, it makes me grateful for healthy kids who will voluntarily shave their heads. Or not.


.

12 comments:

terri said...

After a winter like the one we've had, meteorological updates are big news! We had a family get-together tonight for a couple of birthdays. The impending warm weather was a big topic of discussion. (Yeah, we're an exciting bunch! It keeps us from killing each other though.)

Bald 4 Bucks sounds like a very worthwhile event. And kudos to Red. Hair tends to become so much a part of a person's identity, it IS a big deal to just let it go like that. I'll bet he raised a ton of money!

ShadowRun300 said...

Happy daylight savings to ya! I can't help but like the fact that it's still light out at 7pm. Summer's on the way!
I ran outside this morning for the first time in weeks! And you're right, the treadmill doesn't come close to emulating the great outdoors.
I'm so impressed with Red! It must have been difficult for him, but what a great for him to show his support!

Junky's Running Dry said...

Glad you got a run in! This winter has been so awful. It's nice to feel above freezing temps!!

lotta joy said...

You could be a CHAMPION bicyclist if you shaved your head and rubbed Burt's Bees on your scalp. Talk about being aero-dynamic!!! Do it. Do it. Do it. (are you getting sleepy yet?)

Abby said...

Weather events are good for keeping family get togethers to a dull roar. Worked for us last week!
And I do wonder how Red is adjusting emotionally to being shorn. His hair was a big part of his identity!

Abby said...

It's nice to run outside again! Let's remember the stuck-inside days next time we want to complain.
I'm impressed with Red too. I didn't know he was doing it until his very round head showed up on my facebook feed!

Abby said...

I'm hoping the worst of it is over. It is, right?!

Abby said...

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that??

Riot Kitty said...

That is very cool that the kids are going bald for bucks...and Mr. RK calls the Burt's guy "creepy Burt." It's based on real-life creepy Burt.

Abby said...

Real-life creepy Burt is not the most attractive of men IMO, but he knows his beeswax.

Anita said...

I remember that picture! Especially because he's looking like you... that percentage of you, anyway.

Running downhill, "sensations"... hadn't thought about that, being the avoid declines/inclines person that I am. Actually, I've avoided any kind of pavement lately... It's been a rough winter for a few reasons... can you hear me whining?

agg79 said...

Downhill? What's that? The biggest hills we have around here are speed bumps and overpasses. I've always hated treadmills. All those hard miles and ya never really get anywhere. Good that the weather has cooperated enough to let you hit the streets again.

Nice doo! Always interesting to see people when they cut off their flowing locks. Of course, I've been sporting the low profile hairstyle (aka Bruce Willis look) for years.