Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Silver Liningness Sunday

Hello and happy Sunday greetings!  The air is crisp and the leaves, they are a-changing.  Pumpkin season is here, I like it!

I snapped this pic this morning as the peak is covered with its first official snow of the season.  We've had some dustings in the last few weeks, but with this, it's moved officially into "snowed upon".  It's prettier when not looking at it through a dumb phone.
















My P.E.O chapter hosted a local Oktoberfest fundraiser yesterday.  I haven't heard the final numbers, but I think we made a pretty good haul.  Beer and brats, what's not to like?

As for us, we actually weren't in attendance.  Magnum, Meego, and I decided to spend a day in Denver.  The zoo has added some nice big habitats since we were last there a few years ago, so we decided to check them out.

It was a great day for it, perfect weather and the summer crowds have passed.  I, for one, still enjoy a visit to a nice zoo, and it was nice to see plenty of others of all ages enjoying it too.  However, it did serve to remind me of the uneasy state of my aquarium...

I remember visiting that zoo nearly 30 years ago with a guy I was dating at the time.  Seems we just went in the afternoon, walked in a loop for about an hour or two, and that was that.  Now the place is huge.

Another good push to get out was the fact that we've been having intermittent problems with our internet service.  It's probably from our modem being about to die.  The bright side to that is that we've seen plenty of Chaco this week since talking to the official "Tech Support" only seems to make matters worse if anything.

So for that, I'm grateful that Chaco lives so close by.  I told him, "shouldn't you just teach me all of this?", but I guess he'd rather just come over.  Surely it has nothing to do with my own computer tech savviness.  Or lack thereof.

And that reminds me, the feed died while Magnum and I were in the middle of watching an episode of "The Walking Dead" - Season 4 just released on Netflix.   We're gonna have to hook in and catch the rest of that episode before the modem zombies take away our streaming capability again!

.


18 comments:

terri said...

You've definitely got some pretty scenery for the fall! Our leaves are changing too and it seems to me that I usually get out for a photo hike by this time in the season, but I've yet to do it.

I too can appreciate a good zoo. There's an amazing zoo in Omaha that we visited while there with Kacey for a softball tournament a few years ago. Here at home, we've got an old, free-admission zoo that has grown from something simple to something pretty impressive over the years.

Nice to have tech support in the family, isn't it? I generally fill that role in our family, but that's not saying much.

I'm tempted to check out The Walking Dead. I keep hearing how much others enjoy it. But I just started watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix so I'm thinking that will keep me busy for a while first.

Guano said...

Hey. Our Internet has been sketchy, too. Who's sucking the bandwidth -- and what are they taking with it??

And PEO does beer & brats? And it's all girls? That's like, y'know, tugging at the laws of the universe or something.....

Abby said...

We went to that zoo in Omaha a couple of years ago at the suggestion of a friend of mine. It is amazing! We could've used another day or two to see the whole thing.

We haven't watched any Breaking Bad, but that's on our list. But it'll have to wait now that TWD is back. I guess we all need our escapes.

Abby said...

Your internet too? Chaco's hooked into a server at our house, so when stuff goes wrong, I just blame him. Feel free to do the same.

Hey, this isn't your mom's P.E.O! We've got beer, brats, and the men get to join in... after we put all the secret girl stuff away.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Chaco likes to feel needed and loves that you ask him to come help. I'm sure a free meal helps too. Don't count on him teaching you Geek any time soon.
We're experiencing the same sketchy internet in these here parts. I'm preparing to fork over a few more dollars to get a few more bandwidths. It'll make the gamers and the streamers happy.
I haven't been to the zoo since the last kindergarten field trip there. We have a great one in St. Louis, if you're ever in the area...
Enjoy your beautiful fall! Feel free to share your grainy cell phone pics more often!

Linda Hensley said...

I'm so not ready for snow! Looks pretty in the distance though. Good for you to have a son who wants to visit, even if it's for tech support. I think a lot of guys find it easier to show affection through favors. Good luck with your modem and zombies!

Rock Chef said...

Probably all the people in the hills in their bunkers hiding from ebola that are sucking up the bandwidth!

The snow is pretty, even through a phone. Makes a wonderful view!

Abby said...

Yes, maybe he just likes to feel needed. I wonder what else I can break?

Abby said...

It's about 40 degrees and not forecast to get much warmer today. I thought I was ready, but I'm not!

Abby said...

Sounds like a reasonable low bandwidth theory. As if we needed more excuses to decrease human contact.

Riot Kitty said...

God help me if I didn't live with Mr. RK. I have the tech skills of a caveman. Wait, probably fewer than that.

Abby said...

Yeah, I should probably work on my caveman skills too.

Anita said...

I'm beginning to see mountains now that my daughter is away at college. The ones near her aren't as magnificent as yours, but I'll take'em.

Just this morning, Kelly Ripa (who entertains me while I eat breakfast and clean the kitchen) was talking about the Bronx Zoo. I love a good zoo, too. She made me want to plan a 2 day NY trip just to go there. Glad you, Magnum, and the young one enjoyed your zoo visit.

Rebecca S. said...

The Calgary zoo is probably the nicest one I've been to. It's also huge with large habitats especially for the grasslands animals and big cats.
We have a dusting of snow on our local high peak today. It looks much nicer with snow on it.

Abby said...

Y'know, this reminds me... they didn't bathe the elephants while we were there...

Abby said...

Small zoos can be fun too as long as they're small in number of animals, not size of enclosures.
We're all liking the snow on the peak now, but come April, we'll probably be crabby about it.

Anita said...

lol!
There's goes that memory and vision in my head again.

agg79 said...

Love the change in seasons. We really don't get those down here as much. Summer, summer, still summer and a few months of cold weather and complaining people.

I haven't been as much of a fan of zoos as I have gotten older. I've been to a few and some are not as well maintained and the animals look depressed.

I am hooked on two series right now - The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy. I have been following House of Cards but haven't yet started season 2 (saving that for this winter). Lots of good shows out there to lose yourself in.