Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

the lie

Trevor was a busy and friendly little boy - so much energy, that kid!  He had just recently moved to a new neighborhood, and I suspect he was giving his mother little rest since he didn't know any other kids yet.  Other than his baby sister anyway.

One chilly day in autumn, he was outside with his mom and baby sis when he spied *gasp* another little boy, right about his age, sitting on the steps in front of a house just a few houses away from his own!

"Can we go talk to that little boy!?", he asked his mother, "and see if he can play with me!?"

And so they approached.  The little boy was shy, but that didn't deter Trevor.  He was just so happy to see another kid his age in the new neighborhood!

"Hi little boy, my name's Trevor.  Do you live here?" , he asked the shy kid.

"Yes", was the answer while still seated on the steps.  He was bundled up in a warm jacket handed down from an older brother, a knit hat and gloves, and warm wool pants.

"Would you like to play with me?  What's your name?", Trevor continued.

There was a moment's hesitation from the shy boy, who eventually answered, "John".

About that time, John's mother approached from the front porch, having seen the introduction.  John looked at his mother, but didn't say anything.  Nothing verbal anyway.  But his eyes and body language clearly implored,

"Please Mom.  I'd like him to be my friend.  Please don't tell him."

His mother gave a conspiratorial little smile, talked quietly with Trevor's mother for a bit, and then agreed that yes, the two children could play for a while at Trevor's house.

The two hit it off from the start.  From that day forward, they played together nearly every day.  Their little neighborhood provided many adventures - building forts, learning to ride bicycles, making little cities out of dirt...

In fact, it was on the afternoon of that very first day that John knew he couldn't lie to his new best friend.  Before he left Trevor's house, while they were still alone, he told him.  Told him the truth.

With much relief, Trevor had practically no reaction to this new information.  It was as if he hadn't heard it, or didn't understand the words.  The two best friends just continued on their journey together.

Fall became winter, winter became spring, spring became summer, and the children's happy adventures continued. 

Once in a while, the neighborhood fixit man would come across the two playing, and comment about the truth.   Trevor just ignored him, though, while the shy kid's eyes rolled.

Sadly, Trevor and his family had to move away at the end of that summer.  The two inseparable friends would never see nor hear from each other again.  Their sadness was cushioned by the fact that they both had new beginnings sprouting in each of their lives:  Kindergarten!  And beyond!

Still, however, I often think about Trevor.  I wonder where he is now.  I can barely remember what he looked like other than that he had soft fuzzy brown hair covering a perfectly round head.

And he was my first best friend.  Even after I told him that my name was not really John, and that I was not a little boy, but a girl.

To this day, I wonder.  Did he continue to believe I was a boy?  Did he just not care?  I know one thing, though.

I was wildly in love with him.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hooking up with Mama Kat again this week, for the prompt:
1.) Have you ever felt that life was getting in the way of a big goal? Did you end up giving up or pressing forward? (inspired by Crissy)


I had a big goal, and I pressed forward! 

.

24 comments:

Madamdreamweaver said...

a well told story

Anonymous said...

What a great story! It would be fun to know what he thought about you being a girl.
I much preferred playing with the boys. Even now, I feel more comfortable around guys and like many "guy" activities. Occasionally I want to be girlie. No, not really. Gimme a ball cap and tennis shoes and I'm a happy girl.

Larz said...

My mom never let me get away with it... I love that kids generally just don't care about gender stuff.

Abby said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Abby said...

I'm the same way! I like my girl time, but in the end, guys are just "easier". Maybe that's why you and I get along so well!

Abby said...

They really don't, race either for that matter. My mom set a fine example!

Riot Kitty said...

Aww! That's adorable! I pretended I had a twin for the better part of fourth grade. No one caught me.

Anonymous said...

That is a fabulous story - love it! Kids really don't notice or care about that sort of thing. I kind of enjoy listening to my daughter and her friends at five and six talking as though not one thing makes them different - because right now not one thing does. If only we could all carry that with us more throughout our lives!

Guano said...

I remember that kid. And I remember you kinda sorta masquerading as not a girl (but I didn't know you actually intro'd yourself as someone else). "What a tangled web we weave....."

Perfectly woven yarn, "Johnny" -- Bravo.

Rock Chef said...

You must have been good fun, despite being a girl! I don't see any mentions of Barbie, so that must have been a good start!

Abby said...

Oh, fun idea! The possibilities!

Abby said...

So true, if only...

Abby said...

Well, I couldn't very well tell him my real name now could I or the jig is up! But Mom had my back.

Abby said...

I confess to experimenting with Barbies in first and second grade. It was mostly from peer pressure, but I eventually made it back to the righteous path.

Rebecca S. said...

A very sweet story! I had a best neighbourhood friend named Jimmy. We were such good mates and loved to play together, but my sisters always did have to tease me about him. I wonder if his family teased him about me. If they did I never heard about it. He moved away in fifth grade and I've never seen him since.

Abby said...

I just mainly remember the neighborhood fixit man giving us a hard time, all in fun on his part, but it got annoying sometimes. Jimmy probably lives around the corner from you, Trevor is probably my mailman...

terri said...

You had such a cool mom! Round about 1st grade, I made a new friend and we walked home from school together every day. When I told my mom about Paul and asked if he could come over to play, she smiled and looked at me in a way that made me suddenly feel that me being friends with a boy was something to be ashamed of. And then I never did ask Paul to come over to play.

Judy said...

Awesome story, although I find it hard to believe ANYONE would think you were a boy!

CiCi said...

Great story. First best friend is a distant memory for all of us. Thanks for the reminder.

Abby said...

Aw, that's sad :(

Abby said...

At 4 - 5 years old, it wasn't all that hard to pull off.

Abby said...

Everybody's got one. I hope!

KatBouska said...

You told him your name was JOHN!?! That is hilarious...I hope you came up with a different approach with men later on in life. There's got to be a better way to win them over. ;) This was super cute!

Abby said...

I was like a deer in the headlights, "John" was the only name that came to mind!