Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Silver Liningness Sunday

On my Sunday morning bicycle therapy, I was able to check out some after-effects from yesterday's torrent.  A lot of mud, a lot of leaves and other debris, but nothing too lasting.

There were also noticeably a lot of bugs.  I ate my fair share.  The air was still thick with humidity, which is a rarity around here. I'll admit I don't like it, even though it provides free "food". Still, a lovely ride and I won't complain.

More rain was in the forecast today, and I'm actually glad it didn't happen.  The ground can't hold anymore. 

Meego and I made it to the bowling alley this week.  I sign up for free bowling each summer - 2 free games a day.  Our scores weren't all that bad.  For free, anyway.

In other excitement, a big, fancy, spanking new library opened up a couple of weeks ago, and it's conveniently located about a mile away from our house. I realize this is not earth-shattering fun for most.  But since I tutor, and part of the job is scrounging for a place to meet students, this is very handy for me.  I broke in their study rooms this week and give them two thumbs up.

In movie news, I was a bit disappointed by The Lone Ranger.  Plenty of fun action and, well... Johnny Depp, but it was much too long and I just didn't care about the characters.  In my opinion, there was just no buddy chemistry between the Lone Ranger and Tonto, nor romantic chemistry between the Lone Ranger and his love interest. 

To contrast, we also watched Lawless, which featured strong performances all around.  It's somewhat disturbingly violent, but based on true events, and so that made it even more interesting.





I called and wished my dad a happy 90th birthday, even though I knew he wouldn't be all that happy about turning 90 (that's my dad, I won't get into it).  Still, I'm used to it and it was nice to morbidly chat with him. 


.

17 comments:

lotta joy said...

"it was nice to morbidly talk to him"..... OMG. So sorry that this sentence gave ME something to smile about. (but it did)

Abby said...

You two would get along great, I know it!

Anonymous said...

Think of all the protein you took in. Right?
I think it's great they've opened up a library so close. I always feel like they'll become a thing of the past, which saddens me. Now I have hope!
I'm still at the point you couldn't pay me to bowl. Weird coming from someone whose claim to fame was bowling. It's good family fun though. Glad you enjoyed it!
And nice of you to have a morbid chat with your dad on his birthday. I'm sure he appreciated it deep down.

Rock Chef said...

Not caring about characters - I am finding this an increasing problem these days.

The Tomorrow People and The 100 should both have been perfect viewing for me, but I just found myself wanting everyone to die. Not how it was intended I am sure!

You are between a rock and a hard place with rain aren't you - too much and you get mud slides and stuff, too little and the place becomes ripe for bush fires! Hope you get a good balance this summer!

Abby said...

I think the new library is going to be my next home away from home - it's huge and very modern. I'm glad to see it too!

Abby said...

I'd not heard of either of those shows. The 100 sounded interesting so I tried watching a bit. I'm starting to form the same opinion as you...
We are glad to have made it to monsoon season without a major fire this year. So far.

lotta joy said...

Uh...........thanks?. If he cusses, we'd get along great. That's how i got joe''s brother to love me. he came to the fire department and was getting cantankerous, kept asking 'what the hell time is it? where's the damn clock?' I answered "the damn clock is on the damn wall. where the hell did you expect it to be?" He looked at Joe and said "You picked the right one this time." lol

Guano said...

Jackpot on the new library! I love "wasting" a couple of hours or so at libraries, and ironically, I'm not much of a reader (wish I was, though.....) -- so much knowledge!

My work colleague's daughter just entered grad school for (drum roll)....."Library Science". Seriously? You can get a MASTER'S Degree on the Dewey decimal system?? Um, how useful (read: "employable") can THAT be? Anyway, I'm glad libraries are still around, though I susect new ones are rare; after all, we have the world's knowlege at our fingertips now......

Ginny said...

"There were also noticeably a lot of bugs. I ate my fair share"

It's like the aim for my mouth I swear! So gross.

Abby said...

The new library is huge. It's nice that our libraries get so much use that there was the need for this new huge one, and so close to us! Meego and I checked it out the first week it opened, took us a good 10 minutes to find the freaking books.
AND, I happen to have a few librarian friends, all with Master's in library science! I have no idea what they study for so long.

Abby said...

Oh good, I was beginning to think I was at some genetic disadvantage - being the perfect mouth-height for bug clusters. Unless you are the same height as me, then it's still a possibility...

Larz said...

My nerd is showing, but did you know your dad shares a birthday with Patrick Stewart? I'd be excited about that.

Abby said...

Professor X! Perfect.

terri said...

Didn't realize you don't get much humidity there. We get our share, and it brings along a lot of mosquitoes, which are pretty annoying. But we're used to it.

Happy 90th to your dad, even if he won't appreciate it!

LL Cool Joe said...

90, wow he's doing well. My parents who are both about 84 don't want people to call them elderly. I think at that age you have to have some sort of acceptance. :D

The new library sounds cool. Can a library ever be cool though?

Riot Kitty said...

A new library, woot! Well, I am glad your dad has made it that long.

agg79 said...

Do they still build new libraries? Gosh, with all of the internet access, I thought those were becoming extinct like Encyclopedia Britannicas.

I watched The Lone Ranger and you called it right. Big budget, not much on character development. Haven't seen Lawless yet. I've got the Dallas Buyers Club in my queue up next.

Happy Belated Birthday to your dad. Turning 90 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I can only hope I can hang on that long. And at that age, I think I would be a bit cranky and morbid as well.