Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Silver Liningness Sunday

The meteorological powers that be forecast wet, rainy/snowy, and cloudy for today, starting last night.  I got up and it was dry, clear, and sunny.  Screw 'em, Alice and I took advantage and went a-riding.  Lovely ride it was.

That's not to say spring hasn't had its relapses so far.  This was Thursday:

Dude!  Where's my dog!?

The silver lining to that is that we need the moisture.  The area has been dry lately, and the talk around the water coolers is not "if" something will burn again this year, but "what".   Magnum and I are betting on the suburb of Rockrimmon - barely spared in the Waldo Canyon fire, and they still hang on to their tinder box covenential landscaping rules.  You heard it here first...

The other silver lining to all that heart attack snow is that, as is typical this time of year, the next day was lovely.  

Also this week, Meego FINALLY got his braces.  I say finally because it seems like this has been in the works forever.  Appointments were postponed for various reasons.  My class schedule and state assessment tests at Meego's school, where I complied with the "good night's sleep, healthy breakfast, and no unnecessary appointments", put certain limitations on the schedule.  THEN, we have the orthodontist himself, who takes every Friday as well as school breaks off.  

Oh well, it finally happened - on snowy Thursday, of course.  The weather was borderline close enough to shut down the orthodontist office.  That would be just our luck.  But we slushed on over and got Meego all blinged up.  

Meego has a theory that the human mouth has been trying to evolve, but orthodontists keep forcing it back to its unevolved state.  Since I can't think of a way to test the theory, we are doomed to generations of unevolved mouths, so he'll just have to deal with it. 





Speaking of progress, recall that I introduced the blog to my 2nd cousin (?) Ybarra last week.  He'd just received his bachelor's degree.  Here he is, now freshly entering the world of responsible educated adulthood.


I want to go there.  It looks... 
 warm.







.

13 comments:

LL Cool Joe said...

I want to go there too, as long as they have a new bottle. :D

I'm glad to say braces are now a thing of the past for my two, but I remember all too well the years of orthodontists trips. No fun at all.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. The right of passage. I'll just take the warmth, thank you.
LOVE Meego's theory. Does that mean he's against the braces?
And that storm that dropped snow on you and Terri, brought tornadoes our way. Quite exciting! (When no one gets hurt...)
And I certainly hope you all are spared from fires this year. Didn't you save some of that rain from last year??

Riot Kitty said...

My family in MN got blanketed again this week. April, I tell you!

Marcy said...

Snow? Noooo. But if the moisture is needed, so be it. I am so ready for spring. Yesterday was nice in CT, and I don't want to go back to the cold!

Linda Hensley said...

I think I've gotten half the world's precipitation this year. I got snow in April too and it's going to rain today. I keep telling myself not to complain when it's hot and dry this summer. A friend told me his theory about braces is that when we're mutts, we might get the mouth of one kind of ancestor and the teeth from another and that doesn't necessarily match. Makes sense to me, but I hated having braces. Wishing Meego a speedy and successful experience with it.

Abby said...

At least the orthodontist gave him a t-shirt. What??

Abby said...

Meego's tolerating the braces since he didn't really have much of a choice. I'll take snow and slush over a tornado!

Abby said...

It's like a month-long April Fools prank.

Abby said...

That's what we keep saying ~ we need the moisture... we need the moisture... blah blah blah....

Abby said...

You have my permission to complain when it's hot and dry since I will probably heartily join you. Another interesting theory on braces!

Ms. CrankyPants said...

My theory on braces is they suck. Wait, that's not a theory? Okay, my experience then. I had them in the glorious early 80s, when they were a big, fat, thick-ass band around your ENTIRE tooth and you couldn't eat anything without huge pieces getting hijacked on their way down your gullet and caught front and center. Nothing says, "Hellooo, cool junior-high classmates! Let's be friends!" quite like food-encrusted braces.

Abby said...

I think your theory is a strong one. It certainly reinforced my appreciation for not having them in the glorious early 80's... or ever for that matter.

terri said...

Our fresh snowfall of Thursday and Friday disappeared just as quickly as yours. What a relief!

Braces were a right of passage in our family. All three kids had them. It seemed like each kid had worse issues than the previous kid. Kacey had hers on for nearly FOUR years! She was thrilled to get them removed just in time for her junior prom. I'm glad to be done with it all. We spent a good chunk of money and didn't even get the free t-shirt!