Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day and beyond

Thirteen years ago today, Meego was born.  It so happens that May 14th was Mother's Day in the year 2000, so it seemed an appropriate day for a good birthing.  If nothing else, I think those of us in the maternity ward that day got some extra freebies that aren't common to just any-old-day birthings.

So while I don't want a fuss on Mother's Day - a request to which everyone too readily complies - we do have a bit of hootenanny for Meego's birthday.

Since we were out track meeting for most of Saturday, we plotted birthday recognition for Sunday, which coincided with Mother's Day.

It was a pretty low-maintenance plan really.  The weather was great (finally!), so Meego wanted to hang out at the local zoo for a while, mainly to check out the latest inhabitants of the reptile house.  Then we'd go out for a nice meal.   Easier said than done!  We swung by the university to pick Chaco up, and we were off.

The condensed version is that the zoo was a total zoo.  So we decided on plan B:  head over to the neighbor falls.  The neighbor falls were crawling with people too.  I suspect, like us, many were zoo rejects.  We made plan C:  head over to the next set of falls.

There, we finally had some nice breathing room.  The place was noticeably more crowded than usual.  You'd think it was a family oriented holiday on the first decent weekend of the spring or something!

But there was plenty of room for all of us, and besides, trail people are typically nice anyway.  We just got on the main trail and decided we'd hike until we collapsed... then turn around.  I took my glasses off so as to not get freaked out by the crazy rock climbers.  

So even though it was plan C, it turned out to be a nice day of family recreating. Meego's first choice of restaurant was uber Mother's Day crowded, so we had a plan B for that too.  We were all famished from the hike, so it really didn't matter as long as there was marginally edible food.

By the time we got home, I suspected my parents had already gone to bed, so I didn't call my mom on Mother's Day.  I called her yesterday on Not Mother's Day.

Me:  Hi Mom
Mom:  Hi.  You didn't call me yesterday

Me:  I know, we were out all day and when we got back, it was past your bedtime.      
Mom:  Oh.  

Me:  Anything new?
Mom:  No, not really.  Guano called.  Hagrid called.  You didn't call.

Me:  I know, I didn't want to get you out of bed.
Mom:  Oh.

<        more guilt tripping, more me trying to change the subject         >

We had a nice little chat after the guilt was satisfactorily applied.

Mom:  Okay, thanks for calling. *do I detect a hint of sarcasm?*
Me:  Yep, okay, I should go.  I have to disgrace the family name by being a lowly crossing guard now.

Mom:  Okay, call again.
Me:  I will.  I'll call in a coupla days.  Have the barbs ready!
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Meego! Sorry to hear none of the Plan As worked out, but it sounds like a great day anyway! (I've been to your second choice falls a couple of times. I miss it!)
My mom's used to me calling on Not Mother's Day. Since I rarely ever make the call the day of, when I do, she's quite surprised! :)
I don't usually ask for a big fuss on Mother's Day either, but the Blow Pops and cards with a little note in each one was pretty heartwarming, I must say. I'm like you and would much rather have made my kid's day special than celebrate myself.
Hagrid? :)

Rock Chef said...

My dad used to be terrible for that sort of thing - have a day out somewhere (maybe even buying something that he had asked us to get for him) and you would think we had abandoned him in his hour of need!

Sounds like a fun day, though!

Abby said...

In the end, I think we enjoyed ourselves more than if we'd squeezed our way into the zoo. The area around the falls is lovely, it misses you too!
And yes, Big Brother Hagrid called on the "real" day. He works for the government. If I tell you any more, I'll have to shoot you.

Abby said...

Yep, that's Mom. I don't hold it against her, she's too fun.

meleah rebeccah said...

Awwwwww! Happy Birthday, Meego!

My son's birthday is May 10th - and I brought him home from the hospital on my very 1st Mother's Day!

May babies rule! Just sayin'

I am super happy you had a lovely Mother's day too, even though the zoo was a zoo!

Anita said...

I'll add to the birthday recognitions by saying that my daughter was born on the 12th; so Mother's Day was her birthday this year.

Meleah, you and me: Let's hope for good things for the our Mother's Day babies!

I'm glad you all kept trying until you got Meego's birthday right! I don't know if my 3 princesses and their homebody dad would have had the patience. Of course, I would've!

What! You didn't call your mom on Mother's Day! I wonder how long you'll have to pay for that. :)

Anita said...

ps Sweet photo - one that makes you say, awwwww...(the good awww) :)

terri said...

Kacey was a May 13th baby... 20 years ago. As I recall, it was not quite Mother's Day. But every year on Mother's Day, I think of her as my best Mother's Day present ever.

Glad Meego's day turned out to be nice in spite of alternate plans. Happy belated birthday, Meego!