Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

ice capades

First of all... YES, it's a pedal power generator.  I don't remember what started the kick, but once we got on it, it seemed like the thing to do.   I remember Magnum showing me an article about a prison that used one, and that provided some incentive.

The nice thing is, we have one of these things, so we can pedal away and save up the power to use later when we're being couch potatoes.  So remember, when the lights go out, come onna my house!

But now I have another mystery that I just can't solve.

I brought in China's water bowl a couple of mornings ago.  It was flipping me off.



She has an indoor bowl, and an outdoor bowl.  This time of year, the outdoor bowl is usually an ice bowl instead of a water bowl when I let her outside in the morning.  So, we just swap the indoor bowl with the outdoor bowl.

I have no idea how the outdoor bowl grew this finger overnight.  There are some metal crosspieces over the kennel, but the bowl wasn't underneath any of them.  So how did this stalactite form??

It's really got me stumped.

Maybe it was just happy to see me.
.

16 comments:

terri said...

Very proactive, this generator business! Good thinking!

Yours is the second ice picture I've seen today where the ice has "fingers." I've never seen that before, so I had to Google it. Seems like it could be an ice spike.

terri said...

p.s. Love the new background!

lotta joy said...

I have never seen anything like that before and I think you have a poltergeist with a sense of humor.

lotta joy said...

WHOOO HOOOOO! No word verification!!!!!!

Abby said...

Yes, I've decided to see what happens if I lower the shields. Blogger word verification can be a b**ch!

Abby said...

probably

Abby said...

Really?? I'm gonna go googling!

Abby said...

:)

Abby said...

By George, I think you're right! There was a crack in the ice, and the spike started at the tip of the crack. You're a genius!

Guano said...

I Googled "ice spikes". Interesting phenomenon, but none were as big as the one in China's bowl! Imagine if water was like everything else, and DIDN'T expand as it froze; we'd live in a waay different world.
PS. I kinda liked the word verification challenge (mostly because I'm not very good at other challenges), but admit it occasionally left me stymied at the expense of an entry.

ShadowRun300 said...

I always had trouble with the word verification too, but sadly, now that it's gone, I miss the challenge. (Do you feel like you can't please us? lol)
I've never seen such a thing as an ice spike. Quite funny. :)

CiCi said...

You are such a healthy family.

Thanks for the laugh today. I am still getting over a cold/flu thingy but your post perked me up a bit.

Rebecca S. said...

Ice and snow are nature's way of flipping us the bird sometimes, don't you think? Haha. Cool phenomenon, though.
My husband really wanted to have a T.V. that was hooked up to a pedal powered generator when our kids were little. He has ended up being the one in the house who watches the most (sports) so he would have ended up being on the bike an awful lot.

LL Cool Joe said...

Wow I wish someone or something was that pleased to see me. Actually I don't. I've never heard of an ice spike before. Wish my hair would perform that well.

Mary Lou Rosato-Caine said...

"Maybe it was just happy to see me."
You are so funny, thanks for the laugh first thing in the morning~great way to start the day! Like your new background too :)

agg79 said...

How far do you have to pedal to fire up the Play Station? I like the idea of working for your entertainment. The only question is who does the pedaling?

And sorry to play word police but don't you mean Stalagmite? Still, it is an interesting phenomena. Never heard of an ice spike until Terri mentioned it.