Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

so shy




This week's Illustration Friday prompt is "shy" and my entry is SO awesome, it's too shy to show itself!

Okay, that's a lie.

Actually, Magnum's mom and stepdad are visiting, and as much as I've wanted to, I couldn't just say, "Hi, I'm gonna go play with my art toys for a coupla hours.  Talk amongst yourselves!"

I did sort of start something something.  If I finish it, and like it, then maybe it will show itself later.

I wonder, is shyness innate or is it conditioned?  Maybe a bit of both?  How or why does someone become a hermit?  I think isolation, "alone time", is nice and perhaps occassionally necessary.  But in the end, we are social creatures, and too much isolation makes us crazy.

So with that, I go to be the social, happy hostess that I am.

If you don't hear from me in a day or so, text me.  Pretend it's urgent.  (HELP ME!)

.

5 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I was extremely shy as a young girl, and I'm a bit shy still today. If I had to guess I would say it's innate. And I could totally see how hermits come about - they're all previous front desk agents.
I will absolutely rescue you if necessary! But stay strong. You're doing a good thing. How long will they be visiting??

Jimmy said...

Yep leaving the room with "Talk amongst yourselves I have other things to do" never goes over too well :)

While you are happy hostessing sit back and enjoy yourself for a bit and if need be we shall yell for your assistance.

terri said...

I was a shy kid. I remember hiding behind my mom's leg when someone I didn't know well tried to talk to me. I outgrew the extreme shyness in my grade school years, but I still tend to lean a bit toward the introvert side. I would say that shyness is both innate and conditioned.

As for becoming a hermit, I don't know any personally, but from what I've learned, it's a definite choice. Seems to me that hermits have just become fed up with the world and choose to isolate themselves from society.

CiCi said...

The only people I know who isolate have had bad experiences in social circles and would rather not be around any people rather than have more stress and pain. I have never isolated myself but there are times I like a few hours to myself to regroup and relax in my pj's. Most of the time though, I like being with people and take each adventure and experience as a gift.

Enjoy your time with the relatives. You never know what you may receive, a new idea, new insight, a tug at your heart, or some reward. Let us know how it went when you have time to post again.

agg79 said...

I was a shy kid as well. Always felt that if I said anything it would be taken as stupid or silly. Didn't really grow out of it until I went to college and had to live/interact with the entire outfit. I learned to step outside of my awkwardness, but, deep down, there is still that insecurity there that haunts me. Sometimes I think it makes me look aloof or stuck up.

Good luck with your hostess role.