Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

new year silver liningness

Happy New Year! I've got a good feeling about 2012! Or maybe the theories about the Mayan calendar will ring true...

But at least it's been a nice holiday break.  And actually, the kids don't go back to school until THURSDAY, so there's still a few days of sloth left.  Despite that, we did manage to get in the first mile of the year at midnight.  It was a beautifully clear 25 degree night under a bright half-moon.









Fireworks popped off from all directions as we scampered around like weirdos - Chaco with the psycho balaclava.

So this past week was lull week, and I took full advantage by sleeping a little more, reading a little more, dealing with the house being trashed a little more.

We also enjoyed a few movies, so I will give my quick  At-The-Movies opinion summary:

Limitless was okay.  If nothing else, it has an interesting plot.  I will say, however that, apparently unlike much of the rest of the female population, Bradley Cooper doesn't do a whole lot for me. 

As a family, we watched Ping Pong Playa, which I actually rather liked.  It was a lot better than I expected.  I expected it to suck, though.

Never Forever was a drama about a woman who inadvertently becomes happier from actions meant to make her depressed husband un-depressed.  I thought it pretty good as it had an interesting theme.  The audience is in on her "evolution" mostly through camera-in-the-bedroom, so this is NOT one to watch with the kids.

Lethal Weapon (from 1987!) made it in as a token guy movie that I went ahead and sat through.  Young Mel Gibson in a monster mullet.  It stretchingly counts as a Christmas movie around here, much like "Die Hard". 

Soul Kitchen is German, so unless you speak the language, subtitle reading is required.  I enjoyed Every.  Single.  Minute of it. 

All in all, a nice rather low-key break to get charged up for the new year.  Happy New Year to all of my blog friends - I look forward to getting to know you even better in 2012!

5 comments:

terri said...

I thought about your family and the midnight mile run last night - probably about the time I was fighting to keep my eyes open. That's a fun tradition you've started there, and much healthier than many traditions people keep on New Year's Eve!

Sounds like an enjoyable week of sloth. I'll keep some of your movie picks in mind for future reference. And I do speak German; or at least, I used to. Between subtitles and what might resurface in my memory, I could probably really enjoy Soul Kitchen.

LauraBelle said...

I wish I could think of what it is WE do as a 'family tradition' ... I'm stumped!

I immediately recalled that every year as a kid, we'd pile in the car & drive to Arroyo Grande and get flats of strawberries. That night we'd have waffles with strawberries & whipped cream for supper then all day Saturday we'd can strawberry jam.

Gosh, it kinda SAD that I can't think of something with US ... humm. I shall ponder. ♥

agg79 said...

Kudos for making the midnight mile again. Good for you to keep that tradition alive, although I miss the video of the action like a few years back. I'm not sure which one is more psycho, Chaco and his balaclava or you with that wild-eyed crazy look.

Enjoy your week of sloth. Next week will get here all too soon and you'll be back on duty at the crossing saving the world one kid at a time.

Anonymous said...

I'm really inspired by your family run at midnight. I doubt I can actually run a mile, but I will do a jog run right now.

Jenn and Casey said...

Awesome. Glad you got some time to relax (if you call a family run "relaxing"...hehe) and recharge for the new year! HAPPY 2012!!!