Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

the weaning

I remember how in the beginning I fell for him, how I fell for him hard.  He just came into my life, so unexpectedly, so magically, I was totally swept away.  He offered himself to me, with no strings attached, and I drank that sweet nectar. Before I knew it, I was completely under his spell.  He had me.

But that was years ago.  And over the last few months, the magic seems to be slipping away.  As I step back and examine us, I see that he has gotten more and more demanding as of late.  Where did all this neediness come from?  Was that in his plan the whole time?

Plus, I know he has others.  No, I'm not the only one.  I've seen him.  Early in the morning, when it's dark, I'm out there and I've seen him with these others.  But then, we never promised any exclusiveness between us.  He certainly knows that I'm with someone else when he's not around.  The same someone I've been with since before he came into my life. 

Maybe that was all part of the initial allure - the fact that he would be something special on the side, pure luxury.  But at what point does luxury become just another burden? 

Lately, I've been thinking of breaking it off with him.  I just haven't been able to bring myself to actually do it, especially now with it being the holidays and all.  Would that be insensitive of me? 

And, well, what about me?  Is this really what I want?  Having him does induce more obvious demands, but I have to admit that this relationship has not been without its pleasures.  Has he spoiled me with his pleasures?

No, no.  I really think it's time to call this quits.  I mean, six bucks for a gallon of milk?  Plus the monthly service charge on top of that? 

Have I been played by the milkman?
.

4 comments:

Guano said...

Ooh. Good one.

terri said...

He charges you a monthly fee? Ooh, honey. That's just wrong. Let him go. It's for the best.

Judy said...

Our local farm has just started selling milk by the gallon - $7 a pop. AND you have to go out there and get it. Sorry - ain't no cow worth that in my book.

I say it is time to cut him off.

agg79 said...

Hey, at 4 bucks a gallon, I would have kicked him to the curb a long while ago. Time to move on...